With the establishment of the Prevention and Wellness Trust Fund in July 2012, the Massachusetts Legislature set forth a challenge to communities across the Commonwealth: reduce health care costs by preventing chronic conditions.
The Trust supports community-based partnerships including municipalities, healthcare systems, businesses, regional planning organizations, and schools. These groups work together to provide research-based interventions that will:
- reduce rates of the most prevalent and preventable health conditions;
- increase healthy behaviors;
- increase the adoption of workplace-based wellness or health management programs; and
- address health disparities.
In January 2014, nine communities were awarded grants through the Prevention and Wellness Trust Fund. The organizing partners in each of these communities are:
- Barnstable County Department of Human Services
- Berkshire Medical Center
- Boston Public Health Commission
- Holyoke Health Center
- Town of Hudson
- City of Lynn
- Manet Community Health Center
- City of New Bedford Health Department
- City of Worcester
A brief description of each partnership’s goals has been posted here:
A list of grantees, including partners listed in the grant applications, has been posted here:
The Massachusetts Department of Public Health is responsible for administering the Trust under the guidance of an advisory board. The advisory board meets regularly. Meeting agendas and minutes are posted on Mass.gov.
The Prevention and Wellness Trust Fund Advisory Board guided the Department of Public Health in crafting a Response for Requests (RFR) that focused on four priority health conditions: pediatric asthma, hypertension, tobacco, and falls among older adults. Applicants were also able to propose interventions for obesity, diabetes, substance abuse, oral health and mental health/depression. For each of these conditions, applicants were required to develop interventions in three domains including community, clinical, and community-clinical linkages.
Communities that applied for grants through the Prevention and Wellness Trust Fund followed a competitive, formal RFR process. The Prevention and Wellness Trust Fund RFR is posted on Comm-Pass under document number 402017. A video of the bidders’ conference for the RFR is available by clicking here: PWTF Bidders’ Conference.
- PWTF Annual Report Executive Summary file size 1MB file size 12MB
- PWTF Annual Report file size 37MB file size 11MB
- Prevention and Wellness Trust Fund 2015 Legislative Report file size 3MB
- Prevention and Wellness Trust Fund 2014 Legislative Report file size 1MB
- Prevention and Wellness Trust Fund 2013 Legislative Report