If you have one or more employees (not including yourself), or if you are a partnership or corporation with or without employees, the first thing you must do is obtain a Federal Identification number* for federal and Massachusetts tax purposes.

Sole proprietorships without employees (other than the owner) which are required to file excise, alcohol, tobacco, firearms or employment tax returns, must also obtain a federal employer identification number.

Other sole proprietorships without employees (other than the owner) can use their Social Security number as their federal business identification number.

Please note that a husband and wife running a business together (with or without employees) are considered a partnership, not a sole proprietorship, and must obtain a federal employer identification number.

Federal employer identification numbers can only be obtained from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). To obtain a Federal Identification number, applicants must file federal Form SS-4, Application for Employer Identification Number, apply online or apply over the telephone. For details, visit the IRS website and refer the instructions for Form SS-4.

*The Federal Identification number is sometimes also referred to as a federal employer identification number; an employer identification number; or a business identification number.

Recommended Content

People also viewed...

You recently viewed...

Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.

Learn more on our .

*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.