Each September and October, thousands of volunteers throughout Massachusetts turn out for COASTSWEEP—the statewide coastal cleanup sponsored by the Massachusetts Office of Coastal Zone Management (CZM). COASTSWEEP is part of the International Coastal Cleanup organized by Ocean Conservancy in Washington, DC. Volunteers from all over the world collect marine debris—trash, fishing line, and any other human-made items—and record what they find. This information is then analyzed and used to identify sources of marine debris and develop education and policy initiatives to help reduce it.
To volunteer for an event, organize your own cleanup, or learn more about COASTSWEEP, see the following links:
- About COASTSWEEP - Details about and history of COASTSWEEP.
- Get Involved - Information on how to organize or participate in a cleanup.
- Cleanup List - A full list of scheduled cleanups.
- Information for Cleanup Coordinators - Details for people who are organizing local cleanups.
- Sponsorship - Information on sponsorship opportunities.
- Press Room - The latest news about COASTSWEEP and marine debris.
- Marine Debris - Information and additional resources on marine debris.
- Contact Us - COASTSWEEP contact information.