Companies or other entities that for a fee perform, or offer to perform, Renovation Work (as defined in 454 CMR 22.02) must be licensed as Lead-Safe Renovation Contractors or Deleading Contractors or where eligible, be in possession of a Contractor Licensing Waiver, as outlined below. A Lead-Safe Renovation Contractor may also carry out Moderate Risk Deleading Work where an employee or Responsible Person of said Contractor who has been licensed as a Deleader Supervisor or Certified as a Lead-Safe Renovator- Supervisor (Moderate Risk Deleading Option) is used to supervise the work.
Use this on-line form for notification of a deleading project.
Renewal of Asbestos/Deleading Walk in Licenses
Subject: Deleader-supervisors and workers, can now renew your DLS licenses by mail.
DLS is now accepting applications BY MAIL for RENEWAL of Deleader-supervisor and Deleader-worker licenses. Our office walk-in service will still be available during the regularly posted times listed on our applications and website.
Criteria for mail in applications for renewal:
Only Renewal applications can be processed by mail. Initial licenses must still be processed in person at of our office locations. Your application must include the following items:
- The correct application form for the license you are renewing; the application must be completely filled out, signed & dated (provide email address).
- A copy of your current refresher training certificate (and any other refresher training certificates since your last license with DLS).
- A copy of a Government issued ID (acceptable list on our website).
- Any other information DLS may reasonably require.
- Money Order or Certified Check for the correct amount. Please provide separate checks for Lead or Asbestos licenses. No personal or company checks will be accepted.
- For Deleader-supervisors and Deleader-workers, applicants must include the completed DLS Reporting Physician’s Statement form attached to the application. This form must be completely filled out and signed by a physician. Blood lead level and ZPP results must be within 3 months of the date of application.
- Applications along with payment shall be mailed to Department of Labor Standards, Attention: Licensing Unit, 19 Staniford Street, 2nd Floor, Boston, MA 02114.
Please submit your application at least 14 days prior to the expiration of your current license to allow for processing. Incomplete applications or not submitting all required supporting documents will delay the review process and may result in your license being renewed after its expiration date. Your renewed license will be mailed to the address provided on the application.
All applications are available on our website at http://www.mass.gov/dols.
If you have any questions, please contact our Licensing Office at (617) 626-6960.
The Deleading Contractor shall ensure that a person who has been licensed as a Deleader-Supervisor is on site and in control of the work on every Class I Deleading Project. All persons who perform the functions of supervisors on Moderate Risk Deleading Projects shall be Licensed as Deleader-Supervisors or Certified as Lead-Safe Renovator-Supervisors Lead-Safe Renovator-Supervisors who carry out supervisory functions on Moderate Risk Deleading Projects shall have received training and be in possession of a current certificate of training issued by a Licensed Training Provider which includes the designation, "Lead-Safe Renovator-Supervisor - Moderate Risk Deleading Option."
All persons who perform as workers on Class I Deleading Projects shall be licensed as Deleader-Workers All persons who carry out the functions of workers on Moderate Risk Deleading projects shall be Licensed as Deleader-Workers, Deleader-Supervisors, or Certified as Lead-Safe Renovator-Supervisors.
Licensed Lead Training Providers provide training required by 454 CMR 22.00, including training required for Deleader-Workers, Deleader-Supervisors and Lead-Safe Renovator-Supervisors.
Asbestos and Lead Training Providers are required to submit advance and post notification of Asbestos or Lead training courses. Training Providers should use these forms to submit notification to DLS.