Learn about the successes and documented savings that Massachusetts cities and towns have achieved by implementing PAYT/SMART programs.
- Massachusetts Municipalities with PAYT/SMART Programs, November 2016
Spreadsheet providing information on 145 cities and towns with PAYT/SMART programs. You may search and sort data with the MS Excel version.
- Map of Massachusetts Municipalities with PAYT/SMART Programs, November 2016
Shows which communities across the state have implemented curbside and drop-off programs.
Resources for PAYT/SMART Municipalities
- MassDEP Pay-As-You-Throw Implementation Guide, January 2004
An overview of solid waste unit-based pricing and how to plan, develop and implement a program.
- PAYT/SMART Bag Vendors on State Contract, October 2016
Any town, city or state agency is eligible to purchase plastic PAYT/SMART trash bags through state contract FAC86.
Why Consider PAYT/SMART?
- PAYT/SMART in Massachusetts Fast Facts
Pay-As-You-Throw/Save-Money-And-Reduce-Trash talking points and current statistics.
- PAYT/SMART Basics for Municipalities
Learn about the benefits of a Pay-As-You-Throw/Save-Money-And-Reduce-Trash program and the mechanics of implementing one.
- How Much Trash Did We Throw Out? file size 1MB
file size 1MB
State maps indicate average pounds of trash disposed per household per year by municipality across Massachusetts for 2011 through 2015. Communities with PAYT/SMART programs show lower volumes of waste.
- MassDEP Pay-As-You-Throw Presentation file size 1MB
General information about PAYT including program structures, implementation strategies and results.
- Sustainable Materials Recovery Program (SMRP) Municipal Grants
MassDEP provides technical assistance and funding to municipalities for the planning and implementation of PAYT/SMART.
- Case Study: Town of Ashland Pay-As-You-Throw Program, July 2009
- Case Study: Town of Hamilton Pay-As-You-Throw Program, July 2009
- Case Study: City of Malden Pay-As-You-Throw Program, July 2010
- Case Study: Town of Wrentham Pay-As-You-Throw Program, July 2009