Learn about the successes and documented savings that Massachusetts cities and towns have achieved by implementing Save Money And Reduce Trash (SMART) and Pay-As-You-Throw (PAYT) programs.
- Pay-As-You-Throw in Massachusetts Fast Facts
PAYT talking points and current statistics.
- Massachusetts Municipalities with Pay-As-You-Throw Programs, September 2014
Information on 143 cities and towns with PAYT programs. The MS Excel version may be used to search and sort data.
- Map of Massachusetts Municipalities with PAYT Programs - September 2014
Shows which communities across the state have implemented curbside and drop-off programs.
- Pay-As-You-Throw Basics for Municipalities
Learn about the benefits of a PAYT program and the mechanics of implementing one.
- MassDEP Pay-As-You-Throw Presentation - 2015 file size 1MB
General information about PAYT including program structures, implementation strategies and results.
- MassDEP Pay-As-You-Throw Implementation Guide, January 2004
An overview of solid waste unit-based pricing and how to plan, develop and implement a program.
- Pay-As-You-Throw Bag Vendors on State Contract, May 2015
Any town, city or state agency is eligible to purchase plastic PAYT trash bags through state contract FAC55.
- Case Study: Town of Ashland Pay-As-You-Throw Program, July 2009
- Case Study: Town of Hamilton Pay-As-You-Throw Program, July 2009
- Case Study: City of Malden Pay-As-You-Throw Program, July 2010
- Case Study: Town of Wrentham Pay-As-You-Throw Program, July 2009