Learn about the successes and documented savings that Massachusetts cities and towns have achieved by implementing Save Money And Reduce Trash (SMART) and Pay-As-You-Throw (PAYT) programs.
- Pay-As-You-Throw in Massachusetts Fast Facts
PAYT talking points and current statistics.
- Massachusetts Municipalities with Pay-As-You-Throw Programs, September 2014
Information on 143 cities and towns with PAYT programs. The MS Excel version may be used to search and sort data.
- Map of Massachusetts Municipalities with PAYT Programs - September 2014
Shows which communities across the state have implemented curbside and drop-off programs.
- Pay-As-You-Throw Basics for Municipalities
Learn about the benefits of a PAYT program and the mechanics of implementing one.
- MassDEP Pay-As-You-Throw Presentation - 2015 file size 1MB
General information about PAYT including program structures, implementation strategies and results.
- MassDEP Pay-As-You-Throw Implementation Guide, January 2004
An overview of solid waste unit-based pricing and how to plan, develop and implement a program.
- Pay-As-You-Throw Bag Vendors on State Contract, May 2015
Any town, city or state agency is eligible to purchase plastic PAYT trash bags through state contract FAC55.
- US EPA Pay-As-You-Throw
Helpful information from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
- Case Study: Town of Ashland Pay-As-You-Throw Program, July 2009
- Case Study: Town of Hamilton Pay-As-You-Throw Program, July 2009
- Case Study: City of Malden Pay-As-You-Throw Program, July 2010
- Case Study: Town of Wrentham Pay-As-You-Throw Program, July 2009
People also viewed...
You recently viewed...
Personalization is OFF. Your personal browsing history at Mass.gov is not visible because your personalization is turned off. To view your history, turn your personalization on.
Learn more on our .
*Recommendations are based on site visitor traffic patterns and are not endorsements of that content.