MassDEP-Certified Laboratories for Drinking-Water Analysis
- Find MassDEP-Certified Laboratories
A searchable online database of certified laboratories for water testing. Please note that this page displays best in Internet Explorer or Firefox.
- Certified Laboratories Available Outside Regular Working Hours
List of MassDEP-certified labs available for testing services outside regular working hours, with available services and other details. May 2011.
- Private Drinking Water Testing and the use of MassDEP-Certified Laboratories
In response to frequently asked questions by homeowners, Boards of Health and licensed well drillers, the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP) provides the following guidance on private drinking water testing and the use of MassDEP Certified Laboratories.
- Approved Perchlorate Laboratories and Related Information
Find labs certified to test for perchlorate, and more information about perchlorate contamination.
- List of MassDEP Registered Cryptosporidium Laboratories
List of registered labs with MassDEP approval to conduct Cryptosporidium analysis for public water supplies for drinking water monitoring in Massachusetts. Rev. May 2016.
- William X. Wall Experiment Station (WES)
The Senator William X. Wall Experiment Station (WES), formerly the Lawrence Experiment Station (LES), was founded in 1887 by the Massachusetts State Board of Health to conduct research leading to the development of practical methods for treating sewage, industrial wastes, and public drinking water supplies.
Laboratory Certification Regulations & Standards
- 310 CMR 42.00: Certification and Operation of Environmental Analysis Laboratories
MassDEP certification of environmental-testing laboratories.
Laboratory Certification Policies & Guidance
- Rapid Determination of E. coli in Drinking Water Under the Total Coliform Rule in Massachusetts file size 1MB
file size 2MB
Methods for rapid determination of total coliform and E. coli in finished drinking water. Rev. October 2009.
- Certification for the Analysis of Enterococci (Presence/Absence) in Ground Water Source Samples
The federal Ground Water Rule requires public water systems that use ground water to collect and analyze ground water source samples for the presence of fecal indicator organisms each time the system is notified of a total coliform-positive sample collected under Total Coliform Rule bacteria monitoring. Rev. May 2009.
- Cover letter, Laboratory Certification Policies on Proficiency Testing: Chemistry and Microbiology
Cover letter explaining the 2014 update to the policies implementing changes to 310 CMR 42.00, Certification and Operation of Environmental Analysis Laboratories. October 2014.
- WES-14.001 - Laboratory Certification Office Policy on Chemistry Proficiency Testing
The requirements for providers of and participants in a chemistry proficiency-testing program. Revised October 2014.
- WES-14.002 - Laboratory Certification Office Policy on Microbiology Proficiency Testing
The requirements for providers of and participants in a microbiology proficiency-testing program. Revised October 2014.
- Memorandum on Revised Massachusetts Regulations for the Certification and Operation of Environmental Analysis Laboratories at 310 CMR 42.00
Memo to Massachusetts-certified environmental laboratories on changes to the Laboratory Certification regulations, 310 CMR 42.00, promulgated in October 2007.
- New England Certification Officers' Chemistry Checklists
Checklist to record compliance with chemistry-testing parameters for environmental laboratories.
- New England Certification Officers' Microbiology Checklist
Checklist to record compliance with microbiology-testing parameters for environmental laboratories.
Applications & Forms
- Laboratory Certification Forms
Forms required to apply for approval as a testing laboratory in Massachusetts.
- Cryptosporidium Laboratory Registration Form Application (LT2SWTR)
Laboratories seeking approval to conduct Cryptosporidium analysis for public water systems in Massachusetts must submit this application to MassDEP for review and approval. Rev. December 2015.