Do you or someone you know need help with an alcohol or drug problem?
Help is available at Helpline-online.com
TTY and ASCII Users: 800-720-3480
Voice and Hearing Users: 1-800-327-5050
Do you or someone you know need help with a gambling problem?
Help is available at masscompulsivegambling.org
1-800-426-1234 (Toll free)
The Bureau of Substance Abuse Services (BSAS) oversees the substance abuse and gambling prevention and treatment services in the Commonwealth. Responsibilities include: licensing programs and counselors; funding and monitoring prevention and treatment services; providing access to treatment for the indigent and uninsured; developing and implementing policies and programs; and tracking substance abuse trends in the state.
- Effective September 1, 2016, state agencies and their vendors shall only be able to refer clients to certified sober homes. Additionally, notice will be going to identified sober homes of this effective date. In order to assure that there are a sufficient number of beds for clients in need, MASH is guaranteeing that any home that submits their application by July 15, 2016 and meets certification standards will be certified and able to accept state referrals by the September 1st deadline. Any home not certified by September 1, 2016 will not be able to accept clients from state agencies or their vendors until certified.
- Please use the link BSAS ESM Forms Training – Acute Treatment Services to access on-line ESM forms training for Acute Treatment Services. This training will assist the provider with the submission of quality data. Providers will better understand how the information requested by BSAS is used to evaluate client outcomes. The training includes testing and a Certificate of Completion. It is highly recommended for all staff who work with the ESM Intake, Enrollment, and Disenrollment Forms.
- Please use the link www.mashsoberhousing.org to access information on Sober Housing Certification. This link includes an updated list of certified sober homes, the certification standards, a certification application for with instructions and how to file a grievance.
- Bulletin 2015-05; Access to Services to Treat Substance Use Disorders; Issued July 31, 2015
- Please use the links below for information on Bureau of Substance Abuse Services Licensed Counselors and Programs:
E-Licensing for Counselors
E-Licensing for Programs
- Principles of Care and Practice Guidance
BSAS has developed guidelines and informative advice to assist individuals and agencies to implement the complex aspects of Prevention, Treatment and Recovery.
- Pregnancy and Medication-Assisted Treatment – Information and Support for Pregnant Women in Recovery
Spanish Version of the Pregnancy and Medication-Assisted Treatment
This document provides information for pregnant women in recovery, who, as part of their addiction treatment, receive methadone or buprenorphine.
- “No Alcohol During Pregnancy is the Safest Choice,” a Health Advisory for providers from MDPH
- DPH Responds to Opioid Epidemic
- Make the Right Call – Public Information Campaign
- ESM Assessment Forms and Manuals
- Training and Workforce Development
- Prevention Information
- Standards and Guidelines for Services and Planning for Providers
- Data and Statistics
- Substance Abuse Programs Directory
Bureau of Substance Abuse Services
Department of Public Health
250 Washington Street
Boston, MA 02108-4609
Confidential Complaint Lines:
TTY and ASCII Users: 800-720-3480
Voice and Hearing Users: 800-720-3479