The Boston Municipal Court Department has 30 judges serving the City of Boston in 8 court divisions located in Brighton, Central (downtown), Charlestown, Dorchester, East Boston, Roxbury, South Boston and West Roxbury. Both criminal and civil matters may be filed in this court department.
The types of criminal cases that may be filed in the Boston Municipal Court Department include most felonies and misdemeanors that do not require a state prison sentence, as well as felonies punishable by a sentence of up to 5 years.
The types of civil cases that may be filed in the Boston Municipal Court Department include contract and tort actions in which the likely recovery does not exceed $25,000; small claims cases in which the likely recovery does not exceed $7,000 and small claims jury appeals; summary process/eviction cases; supplementary process (collection on a judgment) cases; mental health matters; abuse prevention/restraining orders and harassment prevention orders; civil motor vehicle violations; and violations of certain city or town ordinances and by-laws.
The Boston Municipal Court Department also has jurisdiction to review some government agency actions, such as unemployment compensation appeals and firearms license appeals.
- Application for Criminal Complaint Procedures
- Bail Procedures
- Boston Municipal Court Divisions
- Boston Municipal Court Filing Fees
- Boston Municipal Court Forms
- Boston Municipal Court Judicial Calendars
- Boston Municipal Court Justices
- Civil Motor Vehicle Citation Procedures
- Indigency (waiver of fees)
- Massachusetts Guide to Evidence
- Mediation Services
- Mission Statement
- News & Announcements
- Small Claims
- Standing Orders of the Boston Municipal Court Department
- Time Standards