What We Do
The Department of Labor Relations (DLR) is responsible for promoting stable, productive and cooperative relationships between public employers and their represented employees by administering and enforcing the Commonwealth's collective bargaining laws. The DLR carries out its objectives by:
- Investigating, mediating, adjudicating and litigating all public sector unfair labor practice cases
- Defining appropriate bargaining units and conducting elections in which public employees may choose whether and which employee organization they want to represent them in collective bargaining
- Providing mediation, fact-finding and arbitration services to assist public employers and employee representatives in resolving labor disputes and contract negotiations
- Enforcing special collective bargaining laws related to municipal police and firefighters through the Joint Labor Management Committee
- Defending and enforcing DLR decisions in court litigation.