News & Updates
- Summary: Financial Responsibility Requirements for Underground Storage Tank (UST) Systems
UST owners/operators must demonstrate that they have sufficient financial resources to pay for environmental and/or third-party damages if a regulated substance is released from their tanks.
- MassDEP Letter to Owner/Operators of Single-Walled Steel Tanks Under state requirements dating to 2008, all single-walled steel tanks must be removed or permanently closed-in-place by August 7, 2017.
- MassDEP Letter to Owner/Operators of Underground Storage Tanks
Spill buckets and sumps must be tested and Stage II vapor recovery system decommissioned by January 2, 2017.
- Frequently Asked Questions: 310 CMR 80.00
Updated in April 2016 to include revisions to the section on monthly visual inspections.
Facility Owners & Operators
- UST Owner & Operator Information
Compliance and reporting requirements, third-party inspections, what to do if you find a leak and more.
- UST Operator Certification Program
Each UST system must have at least one designated Class A, B and C Operator. Learn how to get certified.
- UST System Operators - November 21, 2016
List of individuals who have passed their Class A, B and A/B UST operator certification exams.
Third-Party Inspections & Inspectors
- Third-Party UST Inspection Program
UST owner/operators must have their tanks inspected every three years by MassDEP-approved third parties.
- MassDEP UST Third-Party Inspector Certification Program
This program ensures that those responsible for inspecting UST systems have the necessary knowledge and understanding of how these systems work. Qualified individuals are certified for five years and need to apply for renewal at least 90 days before their current certifications expire.
- Third-Party UST Inspector Lookup
A searchable, sortable public database of individuals qualified to perform third-party inspections in Massachusetts.
- How to Look Up UST Facility Third-Party Inspection Due Dates
Instructions for accessing real-time information via the UST Data Management System.
Online Filing & Forms
Login to the data management system for owner and operator registration and reporting. If you are a new user, you will need to create an account first.
- UST Online Filing, Forms & Help
Register underground storage tanks with MassDEP, notify the agency of changes in their status, and report the results of third-party inspections.
- UST Compliance Certification
Owners/operators of UST facilities are required to submit Compliance Certifications every three years.The requirement took effect on November 1, 2015.
Regulations & Policies
- UST Regulations & Policies
MassDEP UST and site/spill assessment cleanup rules, UST closure assessment manual, and more.
- Important UST Compliance Deadlines - Updated March 2016
Know when you need to meet the requirements for upgrading, testing and inspecting specific types of equipment and systems.
- Enforcement Discretion: Installation Testing
Through June 1, 2017, MassDEP will not enforce the requirement for piping to be tested before putting regulated substance in the tank.
- 2015 UST Regulatory Changes
Learn about the installation, operation, maintenance, inspection and assessment requirements that took effect on January 2, 2015.
USTs in Massachusetts
- Underground Storage Tank (UST) Facility Search
A searchable, sortable public database of underground storage tank facilities across Massachusetts. Learn about USTs in your neighborhood and the surrounding community.
- Summary of Massachusetts UST Information
Review MassDEP data on active UST facilities in Massachusetts, UST system inspection findings, and confirmed product releases reported to the agency.