The Underground Storage Tank (UST) Program is a major component of the Massachusetts groundwater resource protection effort. MassDEP implements federal requirements addressing registration and inspection of UST systems used to store petroleum fuels or hazardous substances. UST systems found to be leaking or not working properly must be repaired or replaced, and any resulting environmental damage assessed and cleaned up.

Underground Storage Tank (UST) Owner & Operator Information

Learn about compliance requirements, check information the state has on file about your USTs, complete required forms, find a third-party inspector and find out what to do in the event of a leak.

Underground Storage Tank (UST) Operator Certification Program

All UST system owners/operators were required to designate at least one certified Class A, B and C Operator for each tank system by August 8, 2012.

Third-Party Underground Storage Tank (UST) Inspection Program

UST owner/operators are required to have their tanks inspected by August 8, 2010, and every three years thereafter. MassDEP approves third parties to perform these inspections. Learn more about the program and review a current list of approved inspectors.

Underground Storage Tank (UST) Query Tool

Facility owner/operators can check the state's database to verify the information MassDEP has on file about their USTs. Residents can learn about facilities with USTs in their communities and neighborhoods. NOTE: If you are unable to access the Query Tool on your first attempt, please try again later.

MassDEP Underground Storage Tank (UST) Forms

Register underground storage tanks with MassDEP, notify the agency of changes in their status, and report the results of third-party inspections.

Underground Storage Tank (UST) Regulations & Policies

State gasoline/motor fuel inventory (527 CMR 5.06) and tank/container (527 CMR 9.00) regulations, UST closure assessment manual, site/spill assessment and cleanup regulations, and more.

Summary of Underground Storage Tank (UST) Information

Under the National Energy Policy Act, MassDEP reports annually on the number of active UST facilities across Massachusetts, the number inspected, the findings from those inspections, and the number of confirmed releases reported to the agency.

Underground Storage Tank (UST) Stakeholder Group

This group seeks public and regulated community input on MassDEP UST program, regulation and policy development.

Report a Spill, Environmental Violation or Illegal Dumping

What to do when you learn of a release of oil or hazardous materials, or when you observe or suspect illegal activity that is placing people or the environment at risk.