July is Hurricane Preparedness Month in Massachusetts
Governor Charlie Baker has proclaimed July to be Hurricane Preparedness Month . While Atlantic Hurricane Season began June 1st, most tropical storm systems that have impacted New England have struck during the months of August and September. That’s why July is a great time to prepare before a storm approaches.
Recent storms such as Tropical Storm Irene in 2011 and Hurricane Sandy in 2012, as well as past hurricanes such as Hurricane Bob in 1991 are reminders that Massachusetts residents and visitors must prepare for the next hurricane.
MEMA encourages everyone to:
- Know Your Evacuation Zone;
- Make A Family Emergency Plan;
- Build an Emergency Kit; and
- Stay Informed & Download Massachusetts Alerts
On Monday, April 13th, 2015, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts received a Major Disaster Declaration (FEMA-4214-DR) making federal funding available under FEMA’s Public Assistance (PA) Program as a direct result of the January 26-28, 2015 Blizzard. PA assistance will be made available to local governments, state agencies, and various eligible private non-profit organizations within the ten (10) counties of Barnstable, Bristol, Dukes, Essex, Middlesex, Norfolk, Plymouth, Suffolk, Nantucket and Worcester for emergency work and permanent repair and replacement of facilities damaged as a direct result of the January 26-28, 2015 Blizzard. In addition, nine (9) of the counties listed above, with the exception of Nantucket, are eligible for Snow Assistance under FEMA guidelines for a 48-hour period.
In order to be considered for FEMA reimbursements, your Request for Public Assistance RPA.pdf must be submitted to MEMA by June 10, 2015. Please note, FEMA has granted an extension to submit RPA’s per MEMA’s request - The new RPA deadline is June 10, 2015.
The Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency (MEMA) and Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) are pleased to announce the availability of Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP), Pre-Disaster Mitigation Grant (PDM) Program, and Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA) Program funding. The HMGP is a post-disaster mitigation grant funding and has been made available statewide as a result of the federal disaster declaration for the January 2015 Severe Winter Storm. The 2015 PDM and 2015 FMA are nationally-competitive annual grant programs and are also now available.
HMGP grant briefings will be held June 2-16, 2015. For briefing details and more information, please see: Hazard Mitigation Assistance Grants REVISED Announcement Memo
- This month's issue of MEMA REPORTS, our monthly update of Emergency Management activities, appears at MEMA Monthly Reports in the ‘Publications & Reports’ section. This edition covers the naming of North Adams EMD Steve Meranti as the 2015 NESEC Emergency Management Director of the Year, the progress being made in Disaster Assistance and Snow Assistance to Communities and Private Non-Profits as well as various Hurricane Preparedness activities taking place.
- KNOW YOUR HURRICANE EVACUATION ZONE
- GOVERNOR BAKER PROCLAIMS JULY “HURRICANE PREPAREDNESS MONTH”
- BAKER-POLITO ADMINISTRATION ANNOUNCES SBA ASSISTANCE FOR ARLINGTON
- MASSACHUSETTS PREPARES TO ENTER THE 2015 HURRICANE SEASON
- DEADLINE APPROACHING TO FILE REQUESTS FOR BLIZZARD OF 2015 FEDERAL DISASTER ASSISTANCE
- MEMA TO HOST HURRICANE PREPAREDNESS CONFERENCE
- Governor Baker Announces Availability of Federal Small Business Recovery Loans
- Governor Baker Appeals for Broader Scope of FEMA Disaster Declaration
- MEMA ANNOUNCES APPLICANT BRIEFINGS FOR FEDERAL ASSISTANCE
- STAY INFORMED AT THE 2015 BOSTON MARATHON WITH MASSACHUSETTS ALERTS FREE SMARTPHONE APP
- See All Press Releases
Publications & Reports
- Audit Tips for Managing Disaster-Related Project Costs
- MEMA Monthly Reports
- 2015 Seabrook Nuclear Calendar file size 15MB
- 2015 Vermont Yankee Nuclear Calendar file size 5MB
- 2015 Pilgrim Nuclear Calendar file size 2MB
- MEMA Strategic Plan May 2013 file size 5MB
- Massachusetts Statewide Mass Care Shelter Coordination Plan
- Homeowner's Handbook to Prepare for Coastal Hazards file size 12MB
- After Action Report for the 2013 Boston Marathon Bombings
- Cape Cod Emergency Traffic Plan
- See All Publications & Reports