Complaints involving electric, gas, and water companies
First contact your utility company. On this page, you can find your electric or gas company (and the company phone number).
If contacting your utility does not resolve the problem, then let us know in one of the following ways:
Complaints involving tow company, intrastate household good moving company,* bus company, or transit agency:
If you have a complaint against a tow company, intrastate household good moving company,* bus company, or transit agency, please submit a written complaint to the Department's Consumer Division.
- Towing Rates: The rates specific to the transportation of a motor vehicle that has been towed without the permission of the owner/operator, also called an “involuntary” tow, within the state. A police-ordered tow or trespass-tow are examples of involuntary tows. The maximum rates allowed for an involuntary tow are established by the Department through our regulations at 220 CMR Section 272.00.
- Household Goods Moving Rates: Rates charged by moving companies that transport residential household goods within the state. Each Massachusetts regulated moving company must file its rates with the Department and can only charge what is allowed in the company’s rate filed with the Department (known as a tariff).
- Bus Company: Safety of equipment and operation related to “for-hire” bus companies that transport passengers between points within the state. In the event you feel a passenger for-hire service or trip was unsafe or of concern, please contact our office.
- Transit Authority: Safety of the equipment and operations related to public transit authorities, including the MBTA, within the state. In the event you feel a scheduled trip on a transit bus or MBTA subway line was unsafe or of concern, please contact our office.
* Complaints against interstate moving companies should be submitted to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
In your written complaint, please include your name, address, daytime phone number, a complete description of the complaint, and any actions taken to resolve it thus far. Also include all pertinent documents, such as tow slips, bills of lading, claim forms and/or correspondence relating to your complaint.