How Landlords Can Apply for RAFT

Landlords can apply directly for rental assistance on behalf of eligible tenants.

Massachusetts 2-1-1


24 hours a day, 7 days a week. All calls are free and confidential. Interpreter services are available in multiple languages.

The Details of How Landlords Can Apply for RAFT

What you need for How Landlords Can Apply for RAFT

The text on this image is replicated below.

Landlords can apply directly for rental assistance on behalf of eligible residents. Tenants can also apply directly. If you believe your tenant may be eligible for rental assistance, you should: 

  1. Coordinate with your Tenant(s): Landlords must obtain and submit a signed tenant consent form before applying for assistance.​
  2. Ensure your Tenant is income-eligible​: Tenant income eligibility limit for assistance is 50% of the Area Median Income (AMI), or 60% of AMI for households who are at risk of domestic violence. Use this link to determine income eligibility for the metro area of your property. ​
  3. Ask your Tenant if they’ve applied​: If your tenant has already submitted an application for rental assistance, please do not reapply. This could delay the approval process.
  4. Start an Application​: If your tenant has not applied, start an application by asking for your tenant to sign the required consent form that is available through the regional agency​.

Here is the information and documentation you need to provide:

  1. Tenant consent form​: All adult household members must sign tenant consent form​

  2. Landlord information: Address and contact Information​

  3. Reason for Application​: Include documentation of housing crisis. Examples include, but are not limited to, Notice to Quit, court summons, utility shutoff notice.​

  4. Details On Assistance Being Requested​

  5. Household information​

    1. Name, DOB, sex, race, ethnicity and SSN (when available) for all adult members of the household​

  6. Identification for the head of household (Examples: photo id, license, birth certificate, passport)​

  7. Rental information:​ Lease/tenancy agreement, amount of rent, amount of arrears, whether they have a rental subsidy

  8. Household income​ (see more details here on income verification)

  9. W-9 from payee (landlord/property owner)​

  10. Proof of ownership for property owner​


LANDLORD JOURNEYS: Understand what to expect when you or your tenant applies for emergency housing payment assistance. 

How to apply How Landlords Can Apply for RAFT

After coordinating with your tenant and determining that they are eligible and have not already applied, you can start the application process by through the Central Application.

More info for How Landlords Can Apply for RAFT

Residential Assistance for Families in Transition (RAFT) 

The RAFT program helps keep households in stable housing situations when facing eviction, loss of utilities, and other housing emergencies. RAFT can provide up to $10,000 per household within a 12-month period to help preserve current housing or move to new housing. Learn more about RAFT here. 

Access to free legal help

The Volunteer Lawyers Project assists low-income owners of 1-4 family homes with referrals, legal information, and legal representation for COVID-related evictions statewide in Housing Court. 

A lawyer can advise you about the law, refer you to resources, fill out and file court papers, and represent you. A lawyer can help advise you before a case gets to court or if a case is in court. The earlier you contact a lawyer the better.

Mediation between you and your tenant

Massachusetts Community Mediation Centers are offering free pre-court mediation between ​landlords and tenants for  lease disputes in addition to the summary process cases referred through the courts.

Mediation is a confidential, voluntary and non-judgmental process where a neutral third party (the mediator) helps people resolve differences based on what is important to them.

Homeowner Assistance Fund 

If you own a 1-4 family home and are having trouble paying your mortgage, you may also be eligible for mortgage assistance under the state’s Homeowners Assistance Fund (HAF) program which includes assistance for eligible owner-occupants of 1-4 family homes. You can find  information of HAF here or call 2-1-1 for more information. 

Contact for How Landlords Can Apply for RAFT


24 hours a day, 7 days a week. All calls are free and confidential. Interpreter services are available in multiple languages.