- Office of the Inspector General
Media Contact for Office of the Inspector General: 2021 Annual Report
The OIG’s work – which included investigations, reviews, partnerships and trainings – spanned numerous areas of state and local government, including education, healthcare, human services, public administration, public safety and transportation. The OIG’s efforts resulted in criminal convictions, policy changes, new legislation, stronger internal controls and expanded training opportunities for public employees. The OIG also continued to cultivate a diverse, skilled and engaged workforce dedicated to the highest standards of professional conduct within a supportive, inclusive and collaborative work environment.
Here are a few highlights from last year:
- Reached settlements totaling more than $236,000 with 11 former Massachusetts State Police troopers to recover money paid for overtime that they allegedly did not work.
- Received and responded to 2,690 complaints on our fraud hotlines, more than double the number of complaints from 2019.
- Taught over 4,300 students in the OIG’s training and certification program.
- Created the Pandemic Funding Oversight Unit to coordinate the OIG’s pandemic-related oversight.
- Launched a consolidated American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) Resources page on the OIG’s website.
- Provided training about ARPA to 500 participants at no cost.
- Concluded investigations related to the Transit Police, resulting in larceny charges against three former police officers.
- Worked on an investigation resulting in indictments against a former town accountant for allegedly stealing $930,000 from four towns.
- Conducted a joint investigation leading to the indictment of a former non-profit CEO for allegedly embezzling nearly $1.5 million.
- Provided recommendations and technical assistance to help identify benefits recipients who violated program rules by failing to disclose overlapping benefits.
- Evaluated overtime and paid details at the Massachusetts State Police.
- Welcomed two new Dr. Frances Burke Investigator Fellows and the second Justice Geraldine S. Hines Legal Fellow.
For a copy of the full report, see: OIG 2021 Annual Report