The 327,000 SF building, located at 19 Staniford Street, opened in 1971. It contains offices for the Department of Unemployment Assistance, MassHire/Department of Career Services, and other state offices.
The site will be redeveloped through a public-private partnership, which will infuse new uses into the 3.25-acre site while creating modern office space for state agencies.
About the Project
We want to thank all of you for participating in the virtual public meetings and for sharing your ideas and concerns. We will take your feedback into consideration as the project moves forward. If you were unable to attend the meetings, you can still view the meeting recordings and other materials on the Project Documents page.
Sign up to receive email notifications about project updates and upcoming events.
The Commonwealth’s three overriding goals for the project are to:
- Cost effectively renew and/or replace a fifty-year-old asset.
- Consolidate state employees who are currently spread throughout leased spaces in Downtown Boston, into state-owned space in Government Center.
- Transform the site from an imposing super-block into a pedestrian-friendly part of a vibrant neighborhood.
DCAMM has been working with a project Advisory Group to help shape the design and development guidelines that DCAMM will use in soliciting a redevelopment partner to achieve these goals. Learn more about the Advisory Group members.
- 2020: Develop design guidelines and stakeholder outreach
- Early 2021: Begin formal process of identifying a redevelopment partner
- Late 2021: Designate a redevelopment partner
- 2023: Redevelopment partner completes permitting/financing, begins construction
- 2025+: Redevelopment complete