The 327,000 SF building, located at 19 Staniford Street, opened in 1971. It contains offices for the Department of Unemployment Assistance, MassHire/Department of Career Services, and other state offices.
The site will be redeveloped through a public-private partnership, which will infuse new uses into the 3.25-acre site while creating modern office space for state agencies.
About the Project
The Commonwealth’s three overriding goals for the project are to:
- Cost effectively renew and/or replace a fifty-year-old asset.
- Consolidate state employees who are currently spread throughout leased spaces in Downtown Boston, into state-owned space in Government Center.
- Transform the site from an imposing super-block into a pedestrian-friendly part of a vibrant neighborhood.
Sign up to receive email notifications about project updates and upcoming events.
- 2020: Develop design guidelines and stakeholder outreach
- Early 2021: Begin formal process of identifying a redevelopment partner
- Late 2021: Designate a redevelopment partner
- 2023: Redevelopment partner completes permitting/financing, begins construction
- 2025+: Redevelopment complete