Learn about types of Civil Service Commission appeals

There are different types of civil service appeals. Learn about what they are and what kind of appeal you would want to file.

Bypass appeals

If you are a candidate for a civil service position, and you have been “bypassed” for appointment or promotion by someone ranked lower on the civil service certification used to fill the position, you can file a bypass appeal.

Classification appeals

You can file a classification appeal with CSC if you:

  • Are a state employee
  • Believe that you have been improperly classified in your current position
  • Have received a denial from the state’s Human Resources Division

Discipline / Layoff appeals

If you are an employee with civil service protection, you can file a discipline appeal if you feel you have been unfairly:

  • Terminated
  • Demoted
  • Laid Off
  • Suspended
  • Involuntarily transferred (in some cases)

Examination Appeals

Civil service examination applicants may file an appeal with the Civil Service Commission contesting an exam-related determination by the state's Human Resources Division (HRD) related to:  essay questions; education / experience; and/or whether the examination was a "fair test".

Non-Bypass Equity Appeals

Individuals may file an appeal with the Civil Service Commission to contest an action or inaction by the state's Human Resources Division (HRD) that do not involve a bypass.  These are considered "non-bypass equity appeals" and often include requests for retroactive civil service seniority dates and/or other relief not related to a bypass.

Performance Evaluation Appeals

Civil service employees contesting a performance evaluation may file an appeal with the Civil Service Commission only if:  a) you have not filed a grievance regarding the same issue; and b) you have first filed an appeal with your Appointing Authority and been denied.

Requests for Investigation

An aggrieved person and/or ten persons registered to vote in the Commonwealth may ask the Commission to investigate all or parts or the official or labor service.