Resources for Student Loan Borrowers who are not from Massachusetts

The Massachusetts Attorney General’s Student Loan Assistance Unit provides help to student loan borrowers from Massachusetts. Below are resources for student loan borrowers in other states.
  • File a complaint with your home state’s Attorney General.  Find out how to file a complaint with your home state’s Attorney General on the webpage for the National Association of Attorneys General.
  • File a complaint with the Federal Student Aid Ombudsman.  If your complaint involves a federal student loan, you can file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education’s Federal Student Aid Ombudsman
  • File a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB).  The CFPB is a federal agency responsible for consumer financial protection.  You can file a complaint with the CFPB relating to private or federal student loans. 
  • Find out if your state has a student loan advocate.  Certain states have state-level student loan advocates who can help borrowers navigate loan forgiveness programs and repayment options. A list of these advocates (sometimes called “ombudspersons”) is available on the U.S. Department of Education's webpage
  • Contact your federal loan servicer.  If you need to speak with your federal loan servicer, you can find its contact information on the  U.S. Department of Education’s webpage
    • To find out who your loan servicer is, log in or create an account at  Once logged in, go to your account dashboard and scroll down to the “My Loan Servicers” section.  Alternatively, you can call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-433-3243.

Help Us Improve with your feedback