• This page, AP 616: Registration Information - Sales Tax, Meals Tax, Room Occupancy Excise, Withholding Tax, and Other Miscellaneous Excises, is   offered by
  • Massachusetts Department of Revenue
Administrative Procedure

Administrative Procedure  AP 616: Registration Information - Sales Tax, Meals Tax, Room Occupancy Excise, Withholding Tax, and Other Miscellaneous Excises

Date: 01/29/2024
Organization: Massachusetts Department of Revenue
Referenced Sources: Massachusetts General Laws

Table of Contents

616.1. When Registration is Required

A business is required to register with DOR to collect withholding tax, sales/use tax, sales tax on meals (meals tax), room occupancy excise, or marijuana retail taxes if it:

has people working for it in Massachusetts (G.L. c. 62B);
has a business location in Massachusetts (G.L. c. 64H);
sells taxable telecommunications services in Massachusetts (G.L. c. 64H);
sells or rents taxable items in Massachusetts (G.L. c. 64H,);
serves meals and/or alcoholic beverages in Massachusetts (G.L. c. 64H);
provides lodgings in Massachusetts subject to the room occupancy excise as an operator or intermediary (G.L. c. 64G);
is a marijuana establishment licensed by the Cannabis Control Commission to purchase, deliver, sell, or otherwise transfer marijuana to consumers (G.L. c. 64N);
is an assignee of lottery winnings subject to withholding (G.L. c. 10 and G.L. c. 62B);
withholds from a pension plan, annuity or retirement distribution (G.L. c. 62B);
withholds from payments to performers or performing entities (G.L. c. 62B); or
withholds, as a pass-through entity, from distributive share allocated to members (G.L. c. 62B).

Taxpayers must register with DOR to collect taxes before the business actually opens. See G.L. c. 64G, § 6 and G.L. c. 64H, § 7.

616.2. Original Registration


MassTaxConnect, an online application, must be used by business operators, professionals, and organizations to register with the Department to collect withholding, sales and use, telecommunications services, and sales tax on meals taxes, room occupancy excise, and marijuana retail taxes.  MassTaxConnect is also used to register as a use tax purchaser, a chapter 180 organization selling alcoholic beverages, or as a tax‑exempt purchaser. Additionally, MassTaxConnect is used to register to collect any of the Convention Center Financing surcharges, the Revere Vehicular Rental surcharge, the Cigar and Smoking Tobacco Excise, Paid Family and Medical Leave, and most other taxes, fees, and excises treated as tax for administration and collection purposes and subject to chapter 62C of the General Laws.

Once your registration is processed, a MassTaxConnect account will be established for you to electronically file and pay your tax obligations via our website.

DOR will send a registration certificate to businesses registered to collect the sales, meals or rooms taxes. Certificates must be displayed at the location at which the tax is being collected. See 830 CMR 62C.67.1 for more information concerning proper display of certificates.

616.3. Filing Requirements

Registered businesses have a requirement to file tax returns with DOR. The Guide to Withholding of Taxes on Wages, Guide for Pass-Through Entity Withholding, Guide to Withholding of Taxes on Performers and Performing Entities, Guide to Sales and Use Tax, and Guide to Sales Tax on Meals contain information on that requirement. These guides explain whether a business must file and pay on a weekly, monthly, quarterly or annual basis. A tax return must be filed even if no tax is due.

G.L. c. 62C, § 5 authorizes the Commissioner of Revenue to specify the method of filing tax returns and other documents. Accordingly, the Commissioner has issued and periodically updates and expands electronic filing requirements applicable to specified taxpayers.  A list of electronic filing requirements is available in the DOR E-File Information Guide, which can be found on DOR’s website at the following link:  https://www.mass.gov/info-details/dor-e-filing-and-payment-requirements. See also TIR 21-9.

616.4. Registration for Additional Locations or Additional Taxes

MassTaxConnect must be used to register additional locations and to register a location for a tax that it was not originally registered to collect.

DOR will send registration certificates to businesses registered to collect the sales, meals, marijuana retail, or rooms taxes. Certificates must be displayed at each location at which the tax is being collected. See 830 CMR 62C.67.1 for more information.

616.5. Correspondence, Change of Information or Organization

Businesses required to electronically file or pay should use MassTaxConnect to request such changes. Businesses needing to change an address or other information with DOR should use MassTaxConnect.

Businesses that change their type of legal organization, e.g., from a sole proprietorship to a partnership, must cancel their original registration with DOR (see 616.6 below) and re‑register under the new organization type using MassTaxConnect.

Businesses needing to correspond with DOR for other reasons should preferably send correspondence electronically by logging in to MassTaxConnect and sending a secure e message. Paper correspondence should not be sent with a tax return, but may be sent to Mass. DOR, Contact Center, PO Box 7010, Boston, MA 02204. Correspondence should include the following identifying information:

legal name;
business name (if different from legal name);
federal i.d. number or social security number;
filing frequency: monthly, quarterly or annual; and
which taxes the business is registered to collect.

616.6. Cancellation of Registration

Businesses required to electronically file or pay may use their MassTaxConnect account to close a location or cancel a tax registration.

Alternatively, a business wishing to cancel a registration may, when filing its regular annual, monthly or quarterly return, check the box on the form indicating that the return is final. The taxpayer may also file Form AI-1, Change of Address/Information.

The Commissioner may revoke a sales/use tax registration where it is found that the registration was obtained in bad faith by a vendor without nexus registering solely for the purpose of avoiding tax on drop-shipments.

For more information on registration, write to Massachusetts DOR, P.O. Box 7010, Boston, MA 02204 or call (617) 887-MDOR or toll-free within Massachusetts at 1 (800) 392-6089.

DOR hosts Small Business Workshops for people starting new businesses. See AP 601.3, Community Outreach Programs, for more information.


G.L. c. 10
G.L. c. 62B
G.L. c. 62C, §§ 5, 67
G.L. c. 64G, § 6
G.L. c. 64H, § 7
G.L. c. 64N
830 CMR 62C.67.1
TIR 21-9
AP 601, Assistance, Service, Obtaining Information
Form AI-1, Change of Address/Information

Referenced Sources:

Help Us Improve Mass.gov  with your feedback

Please do not include personal or contact information.