This page, What would you like to do?, is part of

What would you like to do?

Showing results

Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) classes and endorsements 

Learn about the different kinds of commercial driver’s licenses (CDL), as well as which tests and endorsements you’ll need for each.

Massachusetts Identification (ID) Requirements 

NOTE: During the State of Emergency, the RMV has suspended the issuance of new REAL IDs unless it is part of a first time issuance, out of state conversion, or other limited circumstance.

Customers who renew for a ‘standard’ Massachusetts driver’s license or ID card online between June 12 and August 12, 2020, will be able to upgrade to a REAL ID if they need it in 2021 at no additional charge. The cost of a license or ID renewal is $50 for a ‘standard’ or REAL ID, while the amendment or upgrade fee waived by an Executive Order is $25.

To get a learner's permit, driver’s license, or Mass ID in Massachusetts, you’ll need to provide proof of citizenship or lawful presence, a Social Security number, and Massachusetts residency. Learn what documents you can use below.

You’ll also need to decide between a Standard driver’s license/ID and a REAL ID driver’s license/ID. REAL ID is a federal ID that you can use, beginning October 2021, to fly within the United States or enter federal buildings. To get one, you’ll need to provide additional documentation and come into an RMV service center. Learn more about REAL ID and whether or not you need one below.

Renew your Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) 

A Commercial Driver's License (CDL) is valid for 5 years and expires on your birthday. You can renew your CDL up to 1 year prior to its expiration date.

Apply for a Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP) 

To operate a commercial motor vehicle in Massachusetts, you must first obtain a commercial learner’s permit. You will have to take additional tests to get your permit, depending on which class of driver's license and endorsements you need.

Complete your Commercial Driver's License (CDL) self-certification 

All CDL holders must tell the Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) if they plan to operate within the state or outside of the state, and if they're required to have a medical certificate.

Schedule your road test 

Ready to take a road test before getting your license? You can schedule your road test online.

Replace your driver's license 

If your driver's license has been lost or stolen, you’ll need to replace it as soon as possible. You must have a valid driver's license in your possession to legally drive.

Transfer your Commercial Driver's License (CDL) from out-of-state 

If you have a CDL from another state, you need to convert it to a MA driver's license upon becoming a resident in Massachusetts.

Check the status of your driver's license or Massachusetts ID 

If you are unsure of your driver's license status, you can check with the Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV). You can also check the status of your Mass ID.

Cancel your scheduled road test 

Need to cancel your scheduled road test? Avoid a fee and cancel at least 72 hours before your test.

Change information on your driver's license or ID card 

If you are looking to change information on your driver's license, Mass ID, or Liquor ID you will need to notify the RMV.

Replace your Class D, M, or Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP) 

If your learner’s permit has been lost or stolen, you’ll need to replace it as soon as possible. You must have a valid learner’s permit in your possession to legally drive.

Register as an organ donor at the RMV 

Give the gift of life and become an organ donor.