Commonwealth Disability Mentoring Week 2018
Overview of Commonwealth Disability Mentoring Week 2018
The Massachusetts Office on Disability (MOD) and the Human Resources Division (HRD) are partnering to host a second annual “Disability Mentoring Week (DMW),” a chance for people with disabilities to access and explore career development opportunities within state government. During DMW, mentees with disabilities are matched with workplace mentors according to expressed career interests. Mentees participate in a career exploration experience and make connections with mentors and other personnel. Employers gain increased awareness and understanding of how people with disabilities can be involved in their candidate recruitment processes.
In 2017, MOD and HRD hosted the first Commonwealth DMW during October to celebrate National Disability Employment Awareness Month. In all, 28 mentor pairs were matched across 21 state agencies.
DMW was created with the goals of:
- Fostering potential internship and employment opportunities;
- Become equipped to successfully seek state employment using the MassCareers system;
- Build confidence for reaching career goals!
These goals continue to be especially important as persons with disabilities (PwD) continue to encounter challenges compared with persons without disabilities in both employment and labor participation rates. State government employment can offer career growth, comprehensive benefits, and competitive wages.
You will need for Commonwealth Disability Mentoring Week 2018
Please fill out an online application by August 17, 2018.
For Mentee Applicants
In order to be considered as a mentee for DMW 2018, applicants must
- Be 21 years of age or older.
- Identify as a person with a disability.
- Not be currently employed with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts state government.
- Have a high school diploma or GED and
- Have completed at least one of the following:
- Some college
- Bachelor’s degree
- Master’s Degree
- Doctoral degree
- Vocational license
- Complete apprenticeship
- 2 years of work experience
IMPORTANT: Please review the Job Category Descriptions document under "Additional Resources" below before making your selection on the application.
For Mentor Applicants
In order to be considered as a mentor for DMW 2018, applicants must
- Be a current full-time employee of a Massachusetts state agency
- Have his or her supervisor's permission to participate as a mentor