- Posted: January 7, 2020 12:42 p.m.
- Last Updated: December 3, 2020 3:56 p.m.
Public Meeting Notice December Board of Trustees Meeting
Overview of December Board of Trustees Meeting
Board of Trustees Monthly Meeting
DECEMBER 8, 2020
TELEPHONIC MEETING OF THE HOLYOKE SOLDIERS’ HOME
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
Conference Call Telephone Number for use during the Open Session:
Access Code: 616 663 800
A. OPEN SESSION
1. Call to Order
2. Pledge of Allegiance
3. Public Comment
[Any person wishing to speak shall notify the Chair of their request at least 24 hours prior to the meeting by email at Kevin.Jourdain@verizon.net to seek permission. Permission if granted by the Chair is to allow the approved speaker a statement not to exceed 3 minutes. Permission may be revoked at the Chair’s discretion at any time.]
4. Approval of Minutes for Board of Trustees meeting of November 10, 2020.
5. CFO/Trasurer Report
6. Report from the State & Administrator.
7. Old Business:
- Trustee Account Audit Update from Powers & Sullivan and the Chair. The Final Report has been completed and referred to the Finance Committee. Invitation of Michael Nelligan to speak before the Finance Committee.
- Meeting the Capital & Infrastructure Needs of the Soldiers’ Home in Holyoke. A capital planning update from EOHHS and DVS. Release of the Rapid Planning Report and Needs Assessment by Payette occurred on November 11, 2020. Set time for meeting to discuss this report is needed. Possible Motions from Board to follow this discussion.
- Follow-up on Board Rules adopted on July 14 relative to recommendations from Attorney Pearlstein Report
- Appointments of Treasurer and Assistant Treasurer pursuant to MGL c 6 Sec 71. Discussion of any vacancies to these positions and possible appointments of acting persons.
- Discussion of a Covid-19 patient memorial. Update requested on approved Board motion to allow the Soldiers’ Home Administration to work with the chair of the Soldiers’ Home Coalition to put a temporary memorial in place for this specific purpose.
- Discussion of the Ombudsman Program and the appointment of Mr. Joseph Delaney as the new Ombudsman. Request for a report from Mr. Delaney on the program and his plans for success. Attorney Matt Deacon to make a presentation on status of the program.
8. New Business:
- Selection of new Interim Medical Director – Update.
- Approval of new Interim Administrator Mr. Robert Engell effective December 10, 2020.
- Announcement of Committee Assignments and resumption of committee meetings. Discussion and approval of scope of committee responsibilities.
- Information request of Attorneys Yankopoulos, Deacon and/or Boyle as requested on November 5, 2020: Motion to request a copy of the agreement between the Holyoke Soldiers Home and/or any state agency acting on our behalf and the Holyoke Medical Center for the care of our residents currently in their care.
- Information request of Mr. Giordano from November 10, 2020 meeting: please provide the 5 year history of retained revenue accounts and how much carried over annually and preserved vs how much in general fund state appropriation dollars were unspent annually and returned to state.
- Information request of Secretary Poppe from November 10, 2020 meeting: please provide the Board with copies of job descriptions for all three of the following positions: CFO, Treasurer, and Assistant Treasurer.
- Motion to request all legal bills of the Board’s counsel be paid timely so we may continue to receive services from Morrison Mahoney. This motion be adopted and sent to General Counsel Sharon Boyle.
- Motion to adopt the following resolution offered by Kevin Jourdain as follows:
“With the release of the Rapid Planning report and needs assessment on November 11, 2020, it is clear that the Holyoke Soldiers’ Home needs a new home with significant capital improvements. The Board of Trustees formally requests that Governor Baker and the Massachusetts General Court commit to the full funding of this project to meet the needs of the Holyoke Soldiers’ Home now and in the future. We request they agree to a Certificate of State Matching Funds as soon as possible and approve the necessary funds for this vital project. The Board of Trustees also formally requests that Congressman Neal, Senators Warren and Markey and the remainder of the Massachusetts Federal delegation also work diligently to ensure as much federal funding as possible through the VA State Home Construction Grant program or otherwise to ease the burden of this important but expensive project on our Massachusetts taxpayers. Upon adoption, that a copy of this resolution be transmitted as appropriate to all of these elected officials. The Board of Trustees thanks them in advance for their continued support of the Home and the veterans we serve.” A link to the report to be attached to the resolution.
- Request from Mr. Giordano to spend $2,460 from Trustee Fund for IN2L Software license.
B. EXECUTIVE SESSION
- Pursuant to MGL c. 30A, §21(a)(8) to consider applicants for the open position of Superintendent of the Holyoke Soldiers’ Home. The Chair has determined that the applicants’ privacy during the preliminary screening process requires executive session as to not have a detrimental effect in obtaining qualified candidates.
The open session will not reconvene at the conclusion of the executive session.