- Posted: January 7, 2020 12:42 p.m.
- Last Updated: February 5, 2021 10:09 a.m.
Public Meeting Notice February Board of Trustees Meeting
Overview of February Board of Trustees Meeting
Board of Trustees Monthly Meeting
February 9, 2021
REGULAR MEETING OF THE SOLDIERS’ HOME IN HOLYOKE BOARD OF TRUSTEES
Event number: 185 058 4983
Event password: iQ8GRQ2dif3
To Join by Phone: 1-866-692-3580
Access Code: 185 058 4983
- Call to Order
- Pledge of Allegiance
- Public Comment (3 mins) – Advance registration is required for Public Comment. Please email email@example.com and include your topic. (Right of Chairman to terminate if comments relate to same issue.)
- Approval of Board of Trustees Minutes from January 2021 Meetings
- CFO/Treasurer Report
- DVS Staff Report
- Holyoke Soldiers’ Home Administrator/Staff Report
- Holyoke Soldiers’ Home General Counsel Report
- State proposal and most recent update from Payette/A&F/DCAMM as it related to request of Board Of Trustees for possible additional floor to design in effort to create more bed space. (Secretary Rego/DCAMM)
- Status of Holyoke Soldier Home Ombudsman added to Elder Services Program as paid position (Atty. Matt Deacon)
- Status of Hospitalization, Treatment, and Discharge regulation development for Holyoke Soldiers Home. DRAFT distributed to Board (Atty. Matt Deacon)
- Infectious disease control shut downs of family and outside visitors due to a positive test of either a resident or staff member shall not prohibit visitation from any person who can provide proof of vaccination. (Motion to adopt by Trustee Mass)
- To approved proposed committees (Operations, Finance, Policy) and have designated BOT Committee begin working with HSH Staff, as well as DVS on Board of Trustees’ Committees charge.(Motion to adopt Trustee Keefe)
- The Soldiers’ Home in Holyoke Board of Trustees will meet as a Board for all meetings in person beginning 3/1/21. (Trustee Mass)
- Update on status of hire of CMO and CFO. (Secretary Poppe/Michael Lazo)
- Proposed Funds Use Policy for Holyoke Soldiers Home as drafted by Atty Matt Deacon be adopted for use by Board of Trustees (DVS General Counsel)
- The By-Laws of the Board be amended as follows: Pursuant to Article 7 of our By-Laws that the following amendment be approved by the Board, “Roberts Rules of Order shall be the authority adopted by the Board of Trustees on all points of parliamentary practice not specifically covered by any statute of the Commonwealth.” (Submitted by Trustee Jourdain)
- That the By-Laws of the Board be amended as follows: “An Advisory Board to the Board of Trustees is hereby created. The Advisory Board shall be comprised of residents, family members, veteran advocates, health care professionals and concerned citizens of Hampden, Hampshire, Franklin and Berkshire counties. The Advisory Board shall have a membership not to exceed 13 members and shall have the right to address the Board as a standing item on the Board’s Agenda after public comment on matters they would like to advise us on. Members of the Advisory Board shall be appointed by vote of the Board of Trustees to a term of two years. Any resident of the 4 Western counties of Massachusetts may nominate them self with a letter of interest for appointment to the Advisory Board. Advisory Board members may be reappointed or replaced by the Board of Trustees. The Board of Trustees may remove an Advisory Board member before the expiration of their term only for sufficient cause the Board of Trustees deems to be appropriate. The Advisory Board may meet independent of the Board of Trustees. The Chair of the Board of Trustees shall appoint the Chair of the Advisory Board. Their sole purpose shall be to advise the Board of Trustees in its mission to lead the Home, carrying out its statutory duties and ensuring the Home is providing outstanding care to its residents. The Advisory Board shall adhere to such additional guidance and management as the Board of Trustees may from time to time provide.” (Submitted by Trustee Jourdain)
- That Mark Yankopoulos please acquire and circulate to the Board members a copy of the Chelsea BOT’s By-Laws. (Submitted by Trustee Jourdain)
- That the Board of Trustees adopt a policy regarding an Ombudsman Program and that the Holyoke Soldiers’ Home retain an Ombudsman. (Submitted by Trustee Jourdain)
- That the Board of Trustees adopt a policy that the Holyoke Soldier’s Home retain and include in its budget an independent compliance service with an anonymous reporting hotline for the reporting of compliance complaints and concerns relative to patient safety violations, misconduct, financial issues, ethics and compliance matters, human resources matters, and related. (Submitted by Trustee Jourdain)
- That the Board of Trustees invite and require B.E. Smith to be present for all meetings and discussion of the vacant Superintendent position. (Submitted by Trustee Jourdain)
- Approval of Medical Staff Appointments:
- Michelle Camano – Clinical Staff Nurse Practitioner – New
- Dr. Diane Dietzen, MD – Palliative Care Consultant – New
- Colleen Slyz – Physician Assistant, Consultant,Health Drive Psych Services - New
- An executive session be held for the following purpose: Pursuant to MGL c. 30A, §21(a)(8) to consider applicants for the open position of Superintendent and Interim Superintendent of the Holyoke Soldiers’ Home. The Chair has determined that the applicants’ privacy during the preliminary screening process requires executive session as to not have a detrimental effect in obtaining qualified candidates.
- An executive session be held for the following purpose: Pursuant to MGL c. 30A, §21(a)(3), to discuss strategy with respect to litigation because an open meeting may have a detrimental effect on the litigating position of the Board (R.T. v. Department of Veteran Services, et al)
- An executive session be held for the following purpose: Pursuant to MGL c. 30A, §21(a)(1) to hear the appeal of a Veteran’s discharge. The Chair has determined that the appeal requires an executive session as the individual’s character, physical condition or mental health may be discussed.
The open session will not reconvene at the conclusion of the executive session.