This page, Restorative Justice Advisory Committee Meeting, is offered by
Public Meeting Notice

Public Meeting Notice Restorative Justice Advisory Committee Meeting

Tuesday, August 11, 2020
11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
  • Posted: August 7, 2020 9:01 a.m.
  • Last Updated: September 8, 2020 1:13 p.m.
This meeting is ope to the public.

Contact for Restorative Justice Advisory Committee Meeting

Executive Office of Public Safety and Security

Address

1 Ashburton Place, Suite 2133, Boston, MA 02108

Overview of Restorative Justice Advisory Committee Meeting

The Restorative Justice Advisory Committee will meet August 11, 2020 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m via Webex.

If any member of the public wishing to attend this meeting seeks special accommodations in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact Anjeza Xhemollari at anjeza.xhemollari@mass.gov.

Webex

To join at the time of the meeting, please click here

Meeting number: 161 181 2940         

Password: fsTDh3HGs53    

Join by phone +1-203-607-0564 US Toll or +1-866-692-3580 US Toll Free   

Access code: 161 181 2940

Meeting Minutes

  1. Call to Order

The meeting was called to order by Chairman Andrew Peck at 11:05am.

    Video Absent

1

Chair-Andrew Peck  

X

 

2

Scott Taberner 

X

 

3

Peter Rondeau (*)

X

 

4

Sen. James Eldridge

 

X

5

Becky Michaels

X

 

6

Allison S. Cartwright

X

 

7

John Millett 

X

 

8

Ret. Chief Fred Ryan

X

 

9

Stephanie McCarthy (**)

X

 

10

Monica Dominique

 

X

11

Judge Rosemary Minehan

X

 

12

Kara Hayes

X

 

13

Carolyn Boyes-Watson

X

 

14

Erin Freeborn

X

 

15

Cheis Garrus

X

 

16

Susan Jeghelian

 

X

17

Strong Oak Lefebvre

X

 

(*)Designee for Rep. Sean Garballey                                                                                               

(**) Designee for Diane Coffey

EOPSS Staff: Anjeza Xhemollari and Spencer Lord  

Others in attendance: 

Brenda Nolan, Bernard Nolan, Meghan Hanawalt, Maria D’Addieco and Jo-Ann Della Giustina  

  1. Welcome

Chairman Peck welcomed Committee members and attendance was taken.

  1. Review/Approval of Meeting Minutes from July 14, 2020

Since the meeting was held virtually, roll call was taken to approve the meeting minutes. All present members voted in favor to accept the meeting minutes.

 

  1. Presentation by Laura Prescott, Director of Operations for the Metro Region of the Department of Youth Services "Building Community"

Laura Prescott gave a strong presentation on building communities within the Metro Region of DYS. She described the journey of restorative justice and circle trainings with staff members and youths. At DYS, trainings and community partners support for Restorative Justice are ROCA, IIRP, Suffolk University Center for Restorative Justice, Trinity Boston Counseling Center, UMASS Boston McCormack Graduate School’s Center for Peace, Democracy, and Development.

Laura described a comparison between Restorative Justice and Juvenile Justice.  In Restorative Justice, there is a mindset focused on relationships, a focus on repairing the harm done in relationships and address and prevent harm by creating, belonging, safety, social responsibility withing community. In Juvenile Justice, there is a positive youth development, youth as individuals, accountability through teaching and practicing skills, trauma-informed practice and focus on education and opportunity.  

Laura talked about different types of training held in 2019. She talked about the on-going monthly meetings and healing circles. As time went on, they identified the Training Subcommittee, the Village Subcommittee, and the Treatment Subcommittee. New measures and core functions were put in place for each subcommittee.

DYS also hosted a community building circle with a potluck lunch for staff members. Laura indicated that the event was a huge success and next steps are to conduct a community building circles and potluck lunches with all residential programs in the region.

In the end, as some members wanted to give feedback on the presentation, the connection was very bad and hard to follow. There was audio static and background noise.

  1. Request for Proposals (RFP) Update

Strong Oak participated in the Restorative Justice Coalition of MA meeting last week and received some feedback in regards to the RFP. It was suggested to the Committee to review and incorporate these changes. Even though the Committee already VOTED on the RFP at the last meeting, the Committee decided to review the feedback and incorporate new language to make it more inclusive. Instead of having the RFP Subcommittee meet separately and re-write the RFP, Erin Freeborn suggested adding a new bullet/section on page 5 under Information Required for Submission. A Roll-Call vote was taken to add new language. All members were in favor to add new language.

“Please describe how you have incorporated cultural competency into your personnel, philosophy, theory of change, and assessment efforts and how this cultural competency will be achieved in carrying out the proposal, including how you will reach organizations whose primary language is not English”

  1. Annual Report Subcommittee

The Annual Report Subcommittee consists of three members. The members are, Kara Hayes, Allison Cartwright and Strong Oak Lefebvre. The subcommittee will meet in late summer/early fall to draft the annual report. The full committee will review to approve the annual report in the November/December meeting. The report must be submitted not later than December 31st.

  1. Massachusetts Sheriffs' Association-New Member Update

Monica Dominique has retired from the Hampden Sheriff’s Department. MSA will appoint a new member. For now, that seat is vacant.

  1. Public Comment (10 minutes)

Jo-Ann Della Giustina, Brenda Nolan and Meghan Hanawalt thanked the committee for their work on the RFP.

  1. Open Session for Topics not Reasonably Anticipated within 48 Hours of the Meeting

N/A

  1. Adjourn

Scott Taberner made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 12:55pm. All members were in favor. 

Agenda

  1. Call to Order
  2. Welcome
  3. Review/Approval of Meeting Minutes from July 14, 2020
  4. Presentation by Laura Prescott, Director of Operations for the Metro Region of the Department of  Youth Services "Building Community"
  5. Request for Proposals (RFP) Update
  6. Report Subcommittee
  7. Massachusetts Sheriffs' Association - New Member Update
  8. Public Comment (10 minutes)
  9. Open Session for Topics Not Reasonably Anticipated Within 48 Hours of the Meeting

Contact for Restorative Justice Advisory Committee Meeting

Feedback