- Even if the individual was not retired, you may be entitled to retirement benefits.
- Contact the employee's retirement system to report the death and inquire about any benefits you may be entitled to.
- There are 104 public retirement systems in the Commonwealth, including the State Retirement System and the Teachers' Retirement System
- See our list of retirement systems if you are not sure who to contact
- If you are a member of a retirement system, it's important to keep your information up to date. Update and file a Beneficiary Selection Form when changes occur.
- Millions go unclaimed every year as a result of outdated information and failure to contact the board:
You must report the death of an individual receiving public pension benefits as soon as possible to avoid overpayment of benefits or to begin collecting your survivor benefits.