Under Civil Service Law, Chapter 31, Section 22, the applicant may make a request to the Human Resources Division to undertake one or more of the following:
- A review of the marking of the applicant's answers to essay and multiple choice questions on a civil service examination
- A review of the marking of the applicant's training and experience.
- A review of a finding that he or she did not meet the entrance requirements for the examination.
The applicant has seventeen (17) calendar days after notification of his or her examination results or his or her failure to meet the minimum entrance requirements for the position to request this type of review.
The applicant can also request a review of whether the examination was a fair test of the applicant's fitness to perform the primary or dominant duties of the position. This request must be filed within seven (7) days after the date of the examination.
As of 9/14/2017, the applicant must submit a Multiple Choice Item Review or Fair Test Review, by going to the Mass. Civil Service Examinations & Applications area when the application is available and then fill out the online application for “Promotional Exam Review”. Submission of Multiple Choice Item Reviews and Fair Test Reviews will only be accepted by the online exam review process.
- A decision made by the Civil Service Unit that the applicant did not meet the entrance requirements for appointment to a position.
- A decision made by the Civil Service Unit that the examination taken by the applicant was a fair test of the applicant's fitness to actually perform the primary or dominant duties of the position for which the examination was held.
- A decision by the Civil Service Unit of the marking of the applicants answers to essay questions.
The applicant has seventeen (17) days after the notification of the Civil Service Unit's decision to file an appeal with the Civil Service Commission.
Answer sheet reviews
The Civil Service Unit will forward a copy of your original answer sheet and your answer sheet data string captured from the scanning of your answer sheet.