Amend or correct a birth, death, or marriage record

Is there an error on one of your vital records? Do you want to add a father to your child’s birth certificate? Is there missing information? You can amend or correct vital records by making an appointment with the Registry of Vital Records.
Most amendment requests that are received by mail or from a court, such as adoption or adjudication of parentage, will be reviewed and processed within 3-4 months.

Registry of Vital Records and Statistics



The Details

What you need

To correct a mistake on a birth, death or marriage record you will need to show evidence that the information was incorrect at or near the time of the event. In most cases, vital records list only what was true at the time of the birth, marriage or death, and updates are not made for changes that happened later. For example, you cannot change your birth record solely for a legal change of name. 

To amend or correct a birth, death or marriage certificate, you have to contact the Registry of Vital Records and Statistics. A representative will give you information on the necessary evidence or paperwork you need to request a record correction.


    Name Fee Unit
    Amendment fee $50 one-time
    Certified copy of amended record (by mail) $32 per copy
    Certified copy of amended record (in person) $20 per copy

    How to amend

    Call: (617) 740-2600

    Contact the Registry by phone or email to see what amendment requests can be processed by mail. You do not need to contact the Registry to amend a birth certificate following medical intervention for the purpose of sex reassignment.


    An appointment may be requested to complete the amendment in person. You may contact the Registry via email or phone to email to schedule an appointment. 

    More info

    Some exceptions:

    • Add or change a parent on a birth certificate
      You can add or change parent information by:

      1. Submitting a Voluntary Acknowledgment of Parentage form to add a biological father
        • A Voluntary Acknowledgment of Parentage form is available at the Registry or at the city or town where the birth occurred. This form establishes a biological father. If the mother was married at the time of birth to someone other than the biological father, then an Affidavit of Non-Paternity must also be completed by the mother and her spouse.
      2. Court adjudication of parentage to add a parent or to replace or remove a listed parent
      3. An adoption:
        • If a child is born in Massachusetts, the Massachusetts Probate and Family courts send evidence of adoption or adjudication of parentage directly to the Registry. These changes will process in the order received. A separate application for amendment is not necessary. However, a certified copy of the amended record is not sent automatically. You must request a certified copy of the record after the amendment is complete. Contact the Registry for more information.
    • Change a sex and name on a birth record
      If you have completed medical intervention for the purpose of sex reassignment, learn how to amend the sex on your birth certificate.

    • Other exceptions are rare, but include usual situations such as judgments in equity from a court or changing the access status of a record after marriage between parents already listed on a record.



    150 Mount Vernon St., 1st Floor, Dorchester, MA 02125




    Tell us what you think