Name Changes

Everyone has the right to use a name they choose as long as it isn’t done in fraud or for illegal reasons.

To change your name legally as an adult in Massachusetts, you need to go through a court name change proceeding. Names can also be changed as part of an adoption, divorce, or sometimes a parentage judgment. If you get married, Massachusetts law allows you to adopt any surname (last name).

You need to change your name in one of these ways in order to get official documents such as a driver’s license, passport, or social security card with your new name.

Help Us Improve  with your feedback

Please do not include personal or contact information.