Apply for a 12C Caterer License (ABCC)

The 12C Caterer’s License is an on-premises license which allows a caterer to sell alcoholic beverages at private events.
Once an application is submitted via our eLicensing system, the typical turnaround time is 4 – 6 weeks.

Alcoholic Beverages Control Commission

The Details   of Apply for a 12C Caterer License (ABCC)

What you need   for Apply for a 12C Caterer License (ABCC)

To apply for a Caterer License pursuant to M.G.L. c. 138, § 12C you will need electronic copies of the documents listed below.

Required Documents for ALL new Caterer licenses:

  • Personal Information Form for anyone with Beneficial or Financial Interest in this license (any person or business entity with ownership).
  • CORI Release Form for the liquor license manager.
  • Proof of Citizenship for the liquor license manager. Any one of the following is acceptable: US Passport, US Passport Card, Birth Certificate, Voter Registration or Naturalization Papers.
  • Liquor Liability Insurance in the required minimum amount of $250,000/$500,000.
  • Board of Health Food Service Permit
  • ServSafe or TIPS certification for each person serving liquor under this license.
  • Floor Plan indicating where the alcohol will be stored when not in use.
  • Lease / Occupancy Documents that show your right to store at the premises.
  • Financial Statement and Documents for the proposed transaction.

In addition

    By statute, holders of Caterer licenses must also hold at least one transportation permit:

  • Vehicle Registration for each vehicle being permitted.

    If entity applying is a business:

  • Vote of the Corporate Board or LLC is required authorizing any transaction you are applying for.
  • Business Structure Documents: Articles of Organization, Partnership Agreement, Bankruptcy Documents, Estate Documents, Trust Documents or Business Certificate, are required depending on your corporate structure.

    If Pledging license/stock/beneficial interest/inventory, the following is required:

Fees   for Apply for a 12C Caterer License (ABCC)

Name Fee Unit
Caterer License $1,650 each
Transportation $150 each

How to apply   Apply for a 12C Caterer License (ABCC)

To apply for this license, please create an account on our eLicensing and ePermitting Portal.

Please review the information below:

Technical Requirements:

Below is the list of supported browser versions that provide the best user experience for the online application:

  • Microsoft Windows Internet Explorer 10

  • Microsoft Windows Internet Explorer 11

  • Firefox 29

  • Safari 6

  • Google Chrome 34

  • Opera 21

Although you may find that your current version also works, it may not support all functions.

To use the system you must first create a user name and password. User guides on this topic and other helpful information about the eLicensing and ePermitting Portal can be found here.

For technical assistance:
Please call the ePLACE Help Desk Team at (844) 733-7522 between the hours of 7:30 AM - 5:00 PM Monday-Friday, with the exception of all Commonwealth and Federal observed holidays.

Next steps   for Apply for a 12C Caterer License (ABCC)

Processing Time

Please allow 4-6 weeks for the application to be processed. If there is any information missing, a licensing staff member or investigator will reach out to you directly.

If you would like to check on the status of your application, please contact a licensing staff member.


More info   for Apply for a 12C Caterer License (ABCC)

  • The caterer license allows the holder to cater private events outside the premises of the principal place of business.
  • This license is not for catering open to the public. For events open to the public, a special one day permit is needed and issued by the town.
  • Caterers can only purchase alcohol from a licensed Massachusetts wholesaler or other authorized source such as a Farmer Series licensee.
  • To be eligible for a Caterer license in Massachusetts, the company must store alcohol in Massachusetts.
  • The caterer can serve alcohol at a private event for a maximum of 5 hours.
  • Caterers can not deliver or sell alcoholic beverages at a location already licensed to serve alcohol.
  • 48 hours before the event, the caterer must provide written notice of the event to the local police chief and Local Licensing Authority. This needs to include a copy of the 12C license, a copy of the liquor liability insurance, and emergency contact information for the manager of the 12C license.

To generate a list of the most current Caterer licensees, please use our General Search Function provided on our eLicensing and ePermitting portal.

Downloads   for Apply for a 12C Caterer License (ABCC)

Contact   for Apply for a 12C Caterer License (ABCC)

95 Fourth Street, Suite 3 , Chelsea, MA 02150-2358
Find Your ABCC Representative ABCC Staff Directory 

Help Us Improve  with your feedback

Please do not include personal or contact information.