Apply for an Alcoholic Beverages Caterer License (ABCC)

The Caterer’s License is an on-premises license which allows a caterer to sell alcoholic beverages at private events.
Once an application is submitted via our eLicensing system, the typical turnaround time is 4 – 6 weeks.

Ivy Maiorino

The Details

What you need

To apply for a Caterer License pursuant to M.G.L. c. 138, § 12C you will need electronic copies of the documents listed below.

Required Documents for ALL new Caterer licenses:

  • CORI Release Form for the liquor license manager.
  • Proof of Citizenship for the liquor license manager. Any one of the following is acceptable: US Passport, US Passport Card, Birth Certificate, Voter Registration or Naturalization Papers.
  • Liquor Liability Insurance in the required minimum amount of $250,000/$500,000.
  • Board of Health Food Service Permit
  • ServSafe or TIPS certification for each person serving liquor under this license.
  • Floor Plan indicating where the alcohol will be stored when not in use.
  • Occupancy Documents that show your right to store at the premises.
  • Vehicle Registration for the caterer's vehicle. Note: The price of the transportation permit is included in the price of the license.

In addition

    If entity applying is a business:

  • Vote of the Corporate Board or LLC is required authorizing any transaction you are applying for.
  • Articles of Organization, Partnership Agreement, Bankruptcy Documents, Estate Documents, Trust Documents or Business Certificate, are required depending on your corporate structure.

    If there is any single contribution of more than $50,000 towards this transaction:

  •  Sources of Funding documentation is required: 3 months of bank statements, loan documents, affidavits, etc.

    If Pledging license/stock/beneficial interest/inventory, the following is required:

  • Pledge Agreement
  • Promissory Note
  • Vote of the Corporate Board or LLC approving the Pledge


Name Fee Unit
Caterer License $1,650 each
Transportation $150 each

How to apply

To apply for this license, please create an account on our eLicensing and ePermitting Portal.

Please review the information below:

Technical Requirements:

Below is the list of supported browser versions that provide the best user experience for the online application:

  • Microsoft Windows Internet Explorer 10

  • Microsoft Windows Internet Explorer 11

  • Firefox 29

  • Safari 6

  • Google Chrome 34

  • Opera 21

Although you may find that your current version also works, it may not support all functions.

To use the system you must first create a user name and password. User guides on this topic and other helpful information about the eLicensing and ePermitting Portal can be found here.

For technical assistance:
Please call the ePLACE Help Desk Team at (844) 733-7522 between the hours of 7:30 AM - 5:00 PM Monday-Friday, with the exception of all Commonwealth and Federal observed holidays.

Next steps

Processing Time

Please allow 4-6 weeks for the application to be processed. If there is any information missing, a licensing staff member or investigator will reach out to you directly.

If you would like to check on the status of your application, please contact the following licensing staff member:

Ivy Maiorino
Phone: 617-727-3040 x 749

More info

  • The caterer license allows the holder to cater private events outside the premises of the principal place of business.
  • This license is not for catering events on public property. For events on public property, a special one day permit is needed and issued by the town.
  • Caterers can only purchase alcohol from a licensed Massachusetts wholesaler or other authorized source such as a Farmer Series licensee.
  • To be eligible for a Caterer license in Massachusetts, the company must store alcohol in Massachusetts.
  • The caterer can serve alcohol at a private event for a maximum of 5 hours.
  • Caterers can not deliver or sell alcoholic beverages at a location already licensed to serve alcohol.
  • 48 hours before the event, the caterer must provide written notice of the event to the local police chief and Local Licensing Authority. This needs to include a copy of the 12C license, a copy of the liquor liability insurance, and emergency contact information for the manager of the 12C license.

To generate a list of the most current Caterer licensees, please use our General Search Function provided on our eLicensing and ePermitting portal.



239 Causeway Street, 1st Floor, Boston, MA 02114
Find Your ABCC Representative ABCC Staff Directory 


Tell us what you think