Become a State Trooper
Contact for Become a State Trooper
Recruitment and Diversity Office
The Details of Become a State Trooper
What you need for Become a State Trooper
In order to be appointed to the State Police Academy, you must:
- Complete the Civil Service Exam when the Massachusetts State Police announce their participation
- Successfully pass the Massachusetts State Police Physical Fitness Assessment
- Successfully pass the Medical Assessment
- Successfully pass the Psychological Examination
- Successfully pass a background investigation
How to apply Become a State Trooper
Please check the Civil Service's website for updates on exam announcements.
Interested in learning more? Complete our Recruitment Interest Form to be contacted by one of our recruiters.
Next steps for Become a State Trooper
Once appointed, you'll be required to complete training at the State Police Academy where you'll be required to stay Monday through Friday throughout the training period.
The training program itself is both mentally and physical challenging as recruits receive classroom instruction and physical training in a strict paramilitary environment. Those who graduate do so with the confidence and knowledge needed to be part of the Massachusetts State Police.
The curriculum includes areas such as:
- Criminal law
- Motor vehicle law
- Evidence identification
- Public speaking
- Self-defense tactics
- Defensive driving
- Patrol procedures
- Military drills
- Court procedures
- Diversity awareness
- Community policing