Complete the Online Training Program for State and County Employees
State Ethics Commission
What you need
If you are a state or county employee, your agency will provide you with instructions to complete the online training program and to submit a completion certificate. You must complete the online program within 30 days of election or appointment to a state or county position, and then every 2 years thereafter. Please read the Education and Training Guidelines for further information.
Please review these instructions prior to beginning the online training program:
- Web browser- The programs were developed to work with the Internet Explorer web browser. The programs may also work with other web browsers such as Firefox or Safari, but some pages do not display properly using the Google Chrome web browser. It is recommended that you do not use Google Chrome to run either program.
- Pop-up blockers- Some of the information presented in each program, such as the program completion certificate, is displayed using pop-up windows, therefore you must disable any pop-up blockers on your computer. If you are using Internet Explorer, you can do this by clicking "Tools" at the toolbar at the upper left-hand side of the browser page, and then look for "Pop-up Blocker" in the drop-down menu. Hover your mouse over that selection to see if the option to turn off pop-up blockers appears, and if so, turn off pop-up blockers. If you are able to proceed through the entire program but your completion certificate does not display properly, you can temporarily disable the pop-up blocker by holding down the "Ctrl" key on your keyboard, and then click the "View Certificate" button on the program. If you are using Safari, you can disable the pop-up blocker by clicking "Safari", then click "Preferences", then click "Security", and then uncheck the box "Block Pop-up Windows".
- Program freezes or slow page downloads- You need to have a media flash player downloaded on your computer to run the video segments. Click the link to download the Adobe Flash Player if you find that the video does not play or the program appears to freeze and a page will not display properly. If you continue to experience slow downloads, the issue could be with your computer or internet connection.
- Print your completion certificate- Remember to print your completion certificate to submit to your employer, and please retain a copy for your records. The Ethics Commission will not have any records to verify that you completed the program.
- Electronically saving the completion certificate- To electronically save your completion certificate, you must convert it to a .pdf and then save it to your computer or network. You can also print and scan the completion certificate or save it to your computer as a screenshot. Either way, the completion certificate can then be emailed to your employer as an attachment.
- Obscured text- If any text on a page is obscured, you will need to adjust your browser view setting. To adjust your browser view setting, click "View" at the toolbar at the upper left-hand side of the browser page, then select “Zoom” from the drop-down menu and select 100%.
How to view
You can access the online training program using any computer or laptop, but do not use a mobile device such as a smart phone or tablet as the program is not yet compatible with these devices.
You can access the online program for employees of cities and towns at www.stateprog.eth.state.ma.us.
You must print your completion certificate once you complete the program. The program does not store completion records so you should not begin the program unless your computer is connected to a printer unless you know how to save the completion certificate to your computer either as a screen print or pdf document. You can also take a cell phone picture of the completion certificate and email it as an attachment.
Do not select the Course Credit button unless your employer has specifically told you to do so. This button is reserved for public agencies who have uploaded the online training program to a learning management application.
Please contact David Giannotti, the Commission’s Public Education and Communications Division Chief, at 617-371-9505 or David.Giannotti@state.ma.us if you have any questions concerning the education requirements or if you are having difficulty accessing or completing the online training program.