Request speed zoning

Cities and towns may request speed zoning, in writing, through their MassDOT Highway District Office.

Highway District Offices

The Details   of Request speed zoning

What you need to know   for Request speed zoning

If you have a concern related to the speed of a roadway, whether state or municipally owned, MassDOT encourages you to reach out to your local officials.  A request for speed zoning to the MassDOT District office must come directly from the authorized municipal official acting on behalf of the community’s residents, business owners and visitors.

Once a request is received, the process begins with a meeting between MassDOT, the municipality, the local police department, and safety officials.  The municipality will submit proposed speed zones along with engineering justification and backup data.  The MassDOT Highway District Office and the Traffic & Safety Engineering Section will review the data and determine the best course of action.  If it is determined that the speed limit can be lowered, the new speed limit cannot be legally enacted unless it is first approved by the city/town body that governs the municipal traffic code and then signed off on by the MassDOT Highway Traffic & Safety Engineering Section and the Registry of Motor Vehicles.  Once all sign offs are completed, speed limit signs can be erected, and the speed limit is now enforceable. 

Any changes to a posted speed limit not in conformance with this procedure is not legally enforceable by police.

What a municipality needs to do   for Request speed zoning

Any city or town that wishes to establish a new or modify an existing special speed regulation should follow the detailed process found in the MassDOT Procedures for Speed Zoning.  As a part of this request, the municipality is required to submit the following information to the pertinent MassDOT District Office as a part of the engineering study:  

  • Preliminary Study of Conditions
  • Speed Calculations on Curves
  • Speed Observations
  • Recent Crash history
  • Trial Runs at Locations

How to request   Request speed zoning

The city or town should send all materials listed above, in writing, to their local MassDOT Highway District Office.

Contact   for Request speed zoning

Highway District 1 Office, Francisca Heming, District Highway Director
270 Main Street, Lenox, MA 02140
Highway District 2 Office, Patricia Leavenworth, District Highway Director
811 North King Street, Northampton, MA 01060
Highway District 3 Office, Barry Lorion, District Highway Director
499 Plantation Parkway, Worcester, MA 01605
Highway District 4 Office, Paul Stedman, District Highway Director
519 Appleton Street, Arlington, MA 02476
Highway District 5 Office, Mary-Joe Perry, District Highway Director
1000 County Street, Taunton, MA 02780
Highway District 6 Office, John McInerney, District Highway Director
185 Kneeland Street, Boston, MA 02111

Help Us Improve  with your feedback

Please do not include personal or contact information.