Residuals Management Contact
What you need
This suite of permits leads to final approval for land application of residuals for beneficial purposes. WP 28 and WP 29 are required for all approvals. WP 30, 31, and 32 are project-specific and are only required if the project is classified as a Type II or III material.
- WP 28 is the approval of sampling and analysis plan prior to land application of sludge and septage.
- WP 29 is the determination of suitability for land application of sludge and septage.
- WP 30 is the approval for land application of Type II and III sludge or sludge products on 0.5 acres or more.
- WP 31 is the approval for land application of Type II and III sludge or sludge products on less than 0.5 acres.
- WP 32 is for renewal or modification of a land-application certificate.
You must apply for these permits if you wish to utilize sludge, sludge-derived products, or septage as a fertilizer or soil conditioner. Please read all the guidance contained in the Instructions (see below).
How to apply
See details in Step 5, below.
Guidance on how to prepare your application, including a completeness checklist.
You may fill out and save the Microsoft Word form on your computer. The PDF version has to be printed out and completed by hand.
A unique Transmittal Number is needed for each application you submit to MassDEP.
See page 5 of the fee schedule below.
Submit your application fee payment and a copy of your transmittal form to:
Department of Environmental Protection
PO Box 4062
Boston, MA 02211
Submit your completed application and transmittal form to the Wastewater Permitting Program at the appropriate MassDEP Regional Office (see listing below).