WS 31: New Technology - Vending Machines, POU/POE Devices

Approval for third-party approved vending machines and point-of-use/point-of-entry devices

MassDEP Drinking Water Program

The Details

What you need

This permit serves to protect the public's health and welfare through the control of any product or operation that comes into contact with public drinking water. These products and operations must be controlled to prevent contaminants from leaking into the drinking water as well as to ensure that the products and operations work as designed. This permit consists of an approval for vending machines and Point-Of-Use/Point-Of-Entry (POU/POE) devices that have been previously approved by a third party. Regulatory authority for this permit is stated in 310 CMR 22.04 (6), of the Drinking Water Regulations.

Public water suppliers, or their representatives, and manufacturers or their representatives who want approval of a vending machine or POU/POE device that comes into contact with the public water supply while the supply is within any water system must apply.

If water suppliers or their representatives apply for this permit as part of a facility modification it may also be necessary for them to apply for other MassDEP water treatment permits, e.g. WS 21, 22, 23, 24, or 25.

Note: These additional requirements are intended to serve as a guide to the applicant. It does not necessarily include all additional requirements.

How to appeal

See details below.

Next steps

  1. Review the Instructions

    Guidance on how to prepare your application, including a completeness checklist.

  2. Complete the Application Form

    You may fill out and save the Microsoft Word form on your computer. The PDF version has to be printed out and completed by hand.

  3. Obtain a Transmittal Form and Number

    A unique Transmittal Number is needed for each application you submit to MassDEP.

  4. Lookup the Permit Application Fee

  5. Mail Your Application and Fee Payment

    Submit your application fee payment and a copy of your Transmittal Form to:

    Department of Environmental Protection
    PO Box 4062
    Boston, MA 02211

    Submit your completed, signed application and your original Transmittal Form to:

    Department of Environmental Protection
    Water Supply
    1 Winter Street
    Boston, MA 02108


MassDEP Boston
1 Winter Street, Boston, MA 02108


Tell us what you think