WW 05: Certificate of Compliance

This certification confirms the completion of a project licensed under Chapter 91.

MassDEP Waterways Program

The Details

What you need

This document confirms that a project licensed under Chapter 91 has been completed according to the plans, specifications, and conditions of that license. It is necessary to ensure that projects covered by Chapter 91 are built as licensed. These licenses may be revoked if a certificate is not obtained. 

Anyone who obtains a Waterways license under 310 CMR 9.00 must file an application for a Certificate of Compliance within 60 days of completing the project, and no later than 5 years from license issuance or any extension. This application is not required for Amnesty licenses issued pursuant to 310 CMR 9.28.

This certificate is not required for any Waterways "permit" or "amnesty interim approval" since these are not considered "licenses" under 310 CMR 9.00.

How to file

See details in Step 5 below. 

Next steps

  1. Review the Instructions

    Guidance on how to prepare your application, including a completeness checklist.

  2. Complete the Application Form

    You may fill out and save the Microsoft Word form on your computer. The PDF version has to be printed out and completed by hand. 

  3. Obtain a Transmittal Form and Number

    A unique Transmittal Number is needed for each application you submit to MassDEP.

  4. Look up the Permit Application Fee

    See page 8 of the fee schedule below.

  5. Mail your Application and Fee Payment

    Submit your application fee payment and a copy of your Transmittal Form to:

    Department of Environmental Protection
    PO Box 4062
    Boston, MA 02211

    For water-dependent applications in MassDEP's Northeast, Central, and Boston regions, and for all non-water-dependent applications, mail the original Application and original Transmittal form to:

    Department of Environmental Protection
    Waterways Regulation Program
    One Winter Street, 5th floor
    Boston, MA 02108

    For water-dependent projects in MassDEP's Southeast and Western regions, mail the completed Application and Transmittal form to the appropriate regional office (see the listing of regional offices below).



Did you find the information you were looking for on this page? * required
We use your feedback to help us improve this site but we are not able to respond directly. Please do not include personal or contact information. If you need a response, please locate contact information elsewhere on this page or in the footer.
Tell us what you think