All Terrain Vehicle and Snowmobile Registration FAQs

ATV and snowmobile registration frequently asked questions

Some frequently asked questions regarding ATV and snowmobile registrations.

Q: Am I required to register my all terrain vehicle or snowmobile?

A: State law requires the registration of any all terrain vehicle or snowmobile in accordance with the provisions of the law (Chapter90B).

Q: What about registration renewal?

A: ATV and Snowmobile owners will receive a registration renewal notice at least one month prior to the expiration of their current registration.  You have the following options to renew. 

  • Return with enclosed envelope; write your registration number or renewal number on check.
  • You may bring renewal to any one of our 5 registration offices. Keep in mind that during the boating season, lines can be long (April through August).
  • Renew online at

Q: Where can we ride trail bikes and four-wheelers in the state of Massachusetts?

A: For information on trails in the state of Massachusetts please contact the Department of Conservation and Recreation

Q: If I purchase a go-cart, does this cart have to be registered?

A: Yes, if the vehicle will be used off-road.

Q: Is my Massachusetts ATV/Snowmobile registration valid in other states?

A: Your Massachusetts ATV or snowmobile registration is only valid in Massachusetts. You must register in any other state you decide to ride in.

Q: Do I have to carry my registration with me while riding?

A: Yes. Your registration card must be carried while riding your ATV or snowmobile. The card should be on your person or in the vehicle and shown upon demand to a law enforcement officer.

Q: I sold my ATV/Snowmobile - How do I cancel my registration?

A: You must notify the Massachusetts Environmental Police within 15 days after selling your ATV/Snowmobile.  You can download and complete our  Motorboat, Snowmobile & OHV Registration Status Change Form.  After completing and signing the form, you can mail or fax it to any one of our 5 registration offices in the state. 

Additional Resources

Q: How do I register my vintage snowmobile in Massachusetts?

A:  A vintage snowmobile is a snowmobile that is 25 years old or older and that is substantially maintained in original or restored condition.  A vintage snowmobile registration shall be valid until the ownership of the vintage snow vehicle is transferred to another person.  A vintage snow vehicle registration issued by the Director for a snow vehicle shall authorize the vehicle to be operated only for the purpose of traveling to, returning from and participating in an exhibition, parade or other public event of interest and for occasional personal use.

Your vintage snowmobile will need to first be inspected by our Environmental Police to validate that it is a vintage snowmobile.  You can call 1-800-632-8075 to make an appointment for this inspection.  There is no fee for this inspection.  Once your inspection is complete, you will need to bring your required documents in to one of our registration offices or process your registration by mail.  You will need: inspection report, bill of sale, proof of sales tax paid, completed application and fee of $44.00, in check form only, payable to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.  This is a onetime fee for as long as you own the snowmobile.  You will receive a 3 x 6 numbered registration decal and registration card in your name.

Help Us Improve  with your feedback

Please do not include personal or contact information.