Frequently Asked Questions: Public Accountancy

FAQs for the Board of Public Accountancy.

Table of Contents

My license has expired.  How can I renew?

If your license has been expired for less than 20 months, you may renew online and pay a late fee using the renewal notice that was sent to you in the mail for the last renewal date, provided you have completed all continuing education requirements.  Please contact the Board if you do not have your renewal notice.  If your license has been expired for more than 20 months, you must complete a reinstatement application, available on the Board’s website.

When will I receive my renewal notice?

Yes. Renewal notices will continue to be mailed 60 days prior to the expiration date of June 30, 2022. 
Please be advised, the notice you will receive is not a traditional renewal coupon. Please, DO NOT mail back the notice with a check or money order as it will be rejected and cause delays to the renewal. Be sure to create your e-Place portal account and link your license as indicated in the notice above.

Does the Board prorate CPEs for the first renewal cycle when a license is issued?

Does the Board prorate CPEs for the first renewal cycle when a license is issued?

Yes.  What month your license was issued determines the number of CPEs you must complete after you receive your license, for the first renewal only, according to the following table:

Month License

was issued:

July/Aug./Sept. Oct./Nov./Dec. Jan./Feb./Mar. Apr./May/June

CPEs required for first

renewal cycle

        80         70         60          50

Does Massachusetts offer a non-reporting license?

As of May 19, 2017, Massachusetts no longer issues non-reporting licenses and only has one type of license.

How can I receive a full-reporting license if I have a non-reporting license?

Once you have obtained the experience required for a full-reporting license, you may request an upgrade by sending documentation of that experience to the Board in the same form as an initial applicant.

How do I learn about education requirements and get more details about exams?

Contact the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) for more information.  NASBA reviews applicant education requirements for the Board and can answer questions about the process.

Can an individual/firm licensed by another state practice in Mass. without obtaining a license?

Please view this link for practice privileges.

How can I determine if a Continuing Professional Education (CPE) course is accepted by the board?

The Board does not pre-approve CPE programs.  Licensees must make decisions for themselves on what is an appropriate program after reviewing 252 CMR 2.14, on Mandatory Continuing Professional Education, for the Board’s requirements.

Can I earn CPE hours for correspondence or individual study programs or for teaching?

Yes.  See the Board’s policy.

Help Us Improve  with your feedback

Please do not include personal or contact information.