This page provides information about calculating and paying Massachusetts motor vehicle excise.
Log in links for this page
- This page, Motor Vehicle Excise Training and Resources, is offered by
- Division of Local Services
Motor Vehicle Excise Training and Resources
Table of Contents
Motor Vehicle Excise Resources
- DOR's Guide to Motor Vehicle Excise This page on the Department of Revenue's website explains the basics about Motor Vehicle Excise from the taxpayer perspective.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ): Motor Vehicle Excise
- Massachusetts Legislature: General Law - Part I, Title IX, Chapter 60A, Section 1 Excise tax on motor vehicles; assessment and levy; exemptions; abatement for theft of motor vehicle
- Secretary of State’s Motor Vehicle Excise Information page
Motor Vehicle Excise: A Guide for Assessors (from Course 101): Interactive Video | PDF printable handbook This video and PDF explain the assessment and administration of motor vehicle excise in detail. The video runs approximately 30 minutes.
The following topics can be viewed separately:
- How Motor Vehicle Excise is Assessed (approx. 6 minutes)
- Motor Vehicle Excise Abatements (approx. 12 minutes)
- Motor Vehicle Excise Exemptions (approx. 13 minutes)
Motor Vehicle Excise Webinar: This DLS- hosted webinar highlighted motor vehicle excise best practices, excise regulations, and content tips for excise webpages.
|Last updated:||February 1, 2021|
- Municipal Finance Training and Resource Center
- Download the DLS Municipal Finance Glossary
- Important dates and deadlines on the Municipal Calendar
- Guidelines, Opinions and Advisories from DLSLaw
- Introduction to Assessment Administration: Law, Procedures and Valuation (Course 101 for assessors)
- Visit the DLS YouTube Channel