• This page, Obtaining Payment for Your Home Insurance Claim, is   offered by
  • Division of Insurance

Obtaining Payment for Your Home Insurance Claim

Need to file a home insurance claim or wondering what your next steps are after filing one?

Loss Requirements

Most homeowner insurance policies generally require you do the following things:

  • Give immediate notice of a possible claim to your producer or company. If the loss is a theft, you are also to notify the police. If you lost your checkbook or credit cards, you should notify your bank or credit card company.
  • Protect your property from further loss or damage. If you make temporary repairs, keep a record of what you do and save all receipts for expenses you incur in undertaking the repairs. This could include things like buying plywood and nails to board up broken windows.
  • Give your producer, claims adjuster and or company a list of all damaged, destroyed or stolen property. Be sure to keep a copy of this list. In case of theft, be sure to give a copy to the police. An insurance company may have its own adjusters or hire independent ones and their services are performed free of charge. In Massachusetts, consumers also have the choice of hiring a public insurance adjuster.
  • Show the damaged property to your producer, claims adjuster and/or company if asked. Do not dispose of any damaged property until your producer, claims adjuster and/or company says you can.

Additional Resources

Your Claim Payment

When you file a claim under your homeowners insurance, a company adjuster or independent adjuster will calculate the amount of damage to your home and property.  

An adjuster will review your policy and determine what deductibles may apply and if there are any limits on the coverage. Once they’re done, they’ll contact you, your public adjuster, or lawyer (if you have one) to share their estimates and calculations. They also may contact your contractor.  Be sure your contractor has the proper licensure and registration requirements. 

Your full claim payment may come in multiple payments. The first payment will likely be an emergency advance and may include additional living expenses if the damage to your home renders it uninhabitable. An insurance adjuster for your insurance company makes a preliminary assessment of the damage to your property based on the actual cash value of the property just prior to the damage, and you should receive a check for that amount soon after. If the contractor you hire to make the necessary repairs or replacements finds hidden damage that the insurance company adjuster was not aware of, call the insurance company immediately to set up an appointment to have the damage re-appraised.  If you have a policy that provides replacement cost for damages, the insurance company will pay you the difference between the replacement cost and the actual cash value once they have received proof that repairs are complete.

Most people find it takes at least 18 to 24 months to repair/rebuild their home and replace their possessions after a major disaster.  

If your damages exceed the amount of your coverage, federal agencies will occasionally provide grants or low-interest loans to assist with recovery following major disasters.

If you have a mortgage, your lender has an interest in making sure the home is rebuilt or that your loan is paid in full. Your mortgage lender requires you to add them as an additional insured on your homeowners policy. Because of this, the insurer is obligated to include them on the check for major repairs. You’ll need to work with your mortgage lender to get their signature on any payments.  

Additional Resources

What To Do If You Don't Agree With Your Insurance Company

Your coverages, deductible, and policy limits impact your claim payment. If the insurance company denies any part of the claim, ask for the denial in writing. Keep all paperwork. If you feel that the amount of money offered by your insurance company to pay for a loss is not fair or there are other insurer practices that seem unfair or deceptive, there are several alternative courses of action that you may want to consider:

  • Always first try to resolve the dispute directly with your insurance company. Be prepared to explain why you think the offer is unfair.
  • You can demand for appraisal, as per the terms of your homeowners insurance policy, which is a method for resolving the question of the loss amount when the insurer and insured can’t agree;
  • You can file a complaint with Division of Insurance;
  • You file a claim in small claims court; 
  • You can hire a lawyer to represent your interests; or
  • You may request your insurance company have the proposed settlement amount be reviewed by an arbitration panel.


Additional Resources

Contact   for Obtaining Payment for Your Home Insurance Claim


Open Monday to Friday 8:45 am-5:00 pm


1000 Washington Street, Suite 810, Boston, MA 02118

Help Us Improve Mass.gov  with your feedback

Please do not include personal or contact information.