The Baker-Polito Administration’s comprehensive plan to safely reopen the Massachusetts economy, get people back to work, and ease social restrictions while minimizing the health impacts of COVID-19.
Learn more about Reopening Massachusetts
General business guidance
Information to help businesses meet the self-certification requirement to reopen. All businesses must meet these requirements before reopening. Businesses operating to provide Essential Services, as defined in the Governor's March 23, 2020 Executive Order, updated on March 31, April 28 and May 15, may remain open and have until May 25, 2020 to comply with these mandatory safety standards.
- COVID-19 control plan template – Template that satisfies the written control plan requirement for self-certification
- Compliance attestation poster – Poster that customer facing businesses are required to print, sign, and post in an area within the business premises that is visible to workers and visitors
- Employer and Worker posters – Posters that businesses can print and display within the business premises to describe the rules for maintaining social distancing, hygiene protocols, and cleaning and disinfecting
Sector-specific protocols and best practices
Upon reopening, all Phase 1 businesses must follow the sector-specific safety protocls and best practices linked below. Additionally, advance previews of Phase 2 sector protocols are available so businesses have time to plan and prepare for the start of Phase 2. Additional sector guidance for future phases will be issued at a later date.
Businesses operating to provide Essential Services, as defined by Governor Baker's executive order, may remain open and had until May 25, 2020 to comply with their industry’s sector-specific protocols (if applicable).
The Reopening Advisory Board
On April 28, Governor Baker announced the formation of the Reopening Advisory Board, chaired by Lieutenant Governor Karyn Polito and Secretary of Housing and Economic Development Mike Kennealy. The Board includes representatives from the business community, public health officials, and municipal leaders from across the Commonwealth. This group is charged with advising the Baker-Polito Administration on strategies to reopen the economy in phases based on health and safety metrics.
Reopening Press Releases:
- Baker-Polito Administration Extends Non-Essential Business Closures to May 18th, Announces Reopening Advisory Board
- Baker-Polito Administration Announces Four-Phase Approach to Reopening and Publishes Mandatory Workplace Safety Standards
- Reopening Massachusetts: Baker-Polito Administration Initiates Transition to First Phase of Four-Phase Approach
- Governor Baker, Lt. Governor Polito Highlight Workplace Implementation of New COVID-19 Safety Standards at Symmons Industries in Braintree
- Baker-Polito Administration Provides Update on Phase II of Reopening Plan, Releases Guidance for Restaurants and Lodging
- Governor Baker Issues Executive Order in Advance of Phase II
- Baker-Polito Administration Releases Detailed Guidelines for the Phased Reopening of Child Care, Camps and Summer Recreational Programs
If you would like to continue helping us improve Mass.gov, join our user panel to test new features for the site.