- Cannabis Control Commission
Cannabis Control Commission
Reports To: Executive Director
Job Title: Chief Technology Officer
FLSA Status: Exempt
I. PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Cannabis Control Commission (Commission) is seeking to hire a Chief Technology Officer (CTO). Under the direction of the Executive Director, this position is responsible for developing and implementing the Commission’s strategic information technology plan. This plan includes technology strategies to support the day-to-day operations of the Commission, the development, maintenance, and evolution of complex licensing and seed-to-sale tracking systems, as well as monitoring the regulatory compliance of the Commission’s licensees. The CTO is also responsible for maintaining connectivity & integrity of infrastructure across multiple locations; managing a team of support professionals; and is the point-of-contact with licensees, vendors, and other technology partners to ensure the effective fulfillment of business objectives.
The ideal candidate will provide technology leadership for the Commission, ensuring that the agency stays current and on the forefront of emerging technologies and strategies. The CTO must create an environment within the Commission that focuses on end-user customer service.
II. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plans, organizes, directs, controls and evaluates the operations of the Commission’s information resources;
- Develops and implements systems, policies, procedures and documentation for IT resources
- In coordination with the Executive Director and Chief Financial and Administrative Officer, reviews operating and capital costs, proposed expenditures for hardware and software, and makes recommendations for cost savings;
- Ensures compliance with all software licensing agreements;
- Develops procedures and controls to insure that the Commission’s data is backed-up on a regular basis and stored at a secure location in accord with best practice IT standards and tests the back-up plan on a regular basis;
- Develop, implement, and monitor IT business continuity and disaster recovery plans;
- Recommends technological innovation to streamline functions and improve productivity;
- Ensures that workstations, operating systems and software applications are operational;
- Oversees IT strategic projects, including the procurement, development, and configuration of licensing and seed-to-sale tracking systems;
- Oversees hardware and software maintenance agreement expenditures;
- Plans, directs, and monitors information service and telecommunications contracts and acquisitions;
- Develops investment strategies related to cost benefit analyses of software renovation versus new acquisitions, analyzes computer equipment to be purchased, and trains Commission staff as necessary;
- Provides sound advice and recommendations to the Executive Director to meet the Commission’s current and future technology needs while prioritizing and planning for competing needs within an annually fixed revenue structure;
- Provides accurate and timely communication ensuring proper notice to, consultation with, and direction from the Executive Director;
- Coordinates and monitors Commission information processing systems and telecommunications systems to ensure compatibility and uniformity throughout the Commission and follows guidelines established by the Commonwealth;
- Serves as the Commission’s Chief Information Security Officer for IT by developing and maintaining IT security policies, standards, and guidelines to ensure that the Commission’s IT infrastructure is protected from external and internal security threats;
- Provides leadership and management of network, application and project management staff.
III. SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Direct daily supervision of personnel may be required.
IV. KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Able to demonstrate a flexible leadership style by being fair-minded, forward-thinking, competent, and inspiring while meeting the needs of a broad range of individuals and situations;
- Able to communicate in a clear and consistent manner across all Commission lines and individuals outside the Commission while maintaining customer satisfaction;
- Able to contribute actively to a work environment that embraces diversity and brings together the strengths and perspectives of diverse groups to meet organizational goals;
- Able to build constructive working relationships characterized by a high level of acceptance, integrity, cooperation, and mutual regard;
- Able to earn the trust, respect, and confidence of co-workers and customers through honesty, forthrightness, and professionalism;
- Able to accept personal responsibility for the quality and timeliness of work, and for meeting expectations;
- Able to seek opportunities to resolve problems, achieve goals, or otherwise advance the Commission’s mission.
V. EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or related degree. An advanced degree is preferred;
- At least eight years’ total experience in the field of Information Technology with at least three in a supervisory capacity;
- At least four years’ experience developing and managing extensive IT systems for a medium sized or large company or public Commission.
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience.
The Commission is pleased to offer a comprehensive benefits package to its employees. The specific components and eligibility may vary based upon position classification, hours worked per week and other variables. Therefore, specific benefits for this position may be discussed as part of the interview and offer process.
The Chief Technology Officer is a management position; as such the successful candidate will be hired as an employee at will. This position is non-civil service. This position is an exempt position.
The overall benefits available include: paid vacation, sick and personal leave time, health, dental and vision insurance through the Commonwealth’s Group Insurance, and optional pre-tax Health Savings Account plans.
In addition, the Commission provides employees the opportunity to elect life insurance, long term disability insurance, deferred compensation savings, tuition remission and pre-tax commuter account plans, along with other programs.
The Commission employees also participate in the Commonwealth’s State Retirement Plan, which can become a defined benefit plan for those that both vest and subsequently retire from State service. Follow this link for additional retirement information: http://www.mass.gov/treasury/retirement/state-board-of-retire/.
Commitment to Diversity:
The Commission is committed to building a diverse staff across its entire agency and at all levels. The Commission is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Application Process and Deadline:
The Commission encourages interested candidates that meet the minimum requirements for experience and skills to apply for this position. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume by e-mail no later than Friday, December 22, 2017. The application package should be submitted to:
Please include the position title in the subject line: Cannabis Control Commission Chief Technology Officer
Submissions are due by 5:00 pm (e-mail) on December 22nd ; late submissions may be considered solely at the discretion of the Commission.
Notice of Required Background Check – Including Tax Compliance:
The Commission requires a background check on all prospective employees as a condition of employment.
Candidates should be aware of this requirement but should also know that such background check is not initiated until:
- A candidate is invited to a second or subsequent interview, and
- The candidate has signed the Background Check Authorization Form and related releases.
This background check includes a Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) check, Federal IRS and Department of Revenue state tax compliance on all prospective employees as a condition of their employment.
Candidates with advanced degrees and professional licenses may have these credentials verified. Individuals other than those references provided by a candidate may be contacted in the course of completing a full background and qualification check.
Those candidates invited to interview will be contacted by the Commission. Unfortunately, due to the anticipated high volume of applicants for this vacancy, we are unable to provide status updates to specific individuals.