- Massachusetts State Retirement Board
In connection with the ongoing general public health state of emergency the Massachusetts State Retirement Board (MSRB) is providing the following operational update to active and retired members, beneficiaries, and participating employers.
MSRB offices are closed to the public until further notice. During this period a limited number of MSRB staff are working remotely. As such, there will be no regular on-site presence in either MSRB office location in Boston or Springfield.
Please note: the issuance of regular monthly benefit payments, or other disbursements are not impacted. The next scheduled monthly benefits will be issued on Friday, January 29, 2020.
Due to the continually changing situation, please check our website, www.mass.gov/retirement, and Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/mass.state.retirement, often for any updates on the Board’s operations.
Regular mail delivery to the MSRB office in Boston continues and limited staff is processing documents received. We strongly encourage everyone to continue mailing documents to the MSRB’s Boston office. If your request is not time-sensitive, we ask that you defer submitting it to a later date. You are not required to also email a document that you have mailed.
What you can do in the meantime
Please feel free to contact MSRB staff by email or telephone regarding your benefits-related questions.
Please note: if you email or call the MSRB please allow at least 24-48 hours for us to respond. We ask you to refrain from submitting multiple requests on the same matter by email and by telephone to different teams within the MSRB, especially if it is not time sensitive. Multiple requests have resulted in duplication of work and extend the time it takes to respond to you.
- SRB Main email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Communications: MSRBCommunications@tre.state.ma.us
- Survivor Benefits (report a member or survivor's death): email@example.com
- Refunds/Rollovers – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Buyback (Service Purchases): email@example.com
- Board Reporting: EBR@tre.state.ma.us
- Manager Tamarra Desruisseaux: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Disability – Manager Chanese Brown: email@example.com
- Legal – Individuals who have legal documents to submit for review, such as proposed or draft domestic relations orders and worker’s compensation lump sum agreements, or documents related to a pending appeal before the Division of Administrative Law Appeals (DALA), may submit them to: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also call our office at the number below:
Telephone: (617) 367-7770. Phones are answered Monday-Friday from 9:00 am - 3:00 pm. If you call outside of those hours you will be prompted to select one of the following options and leave a message:
- If you have a question about a retirement payment, direct deposit, mailing address or federal tax withholding, press 1
- If you are calling about a service purchase or buyback, press 2
- If you are calling about a refund or rollover request or payment, press 4
- If you are calling to report the death of a benefit recipient, press 5
- If you have questions about disability retirement benefits, press 6
- If you have questions about regular retirement benefits, press 7
- If you are calling about an employer reporting matter, press 1
PLEASE NOTE: Due to limited staff working remotely, we will respond to emails and voice mails as promptly as we can. Allow staff at least 24-48 hours to respond to you.
MSRB Website Resource Links:
- Report the Death of a Member, Survivor or Beneficiary: https://www.mass.gov/service-details/survivor-benefits-msrb
- Request a Pension Benefit Verification Letter: https://www.mass.gov/how-to/how-to-request-a-pension-benefit-verification-letter
- Calculate Your Estimated Pension Benefit Estimate: https://www.mass.gov/pension-estimate-calculator-msrb
- Access Your Pension Benefit Monthly Statement via PayInfo: https://payinfo.state.ma.us/payinfo/Login.asp
- Register for a SMART Retirement & Beyond Webinar (provides an overview of your pension benefit and SMART Plan benefit): https://www.mass.gov/orgs/massachusetts-state-retirement-board/events?_page=1
- Download the MSERS Retirement Benefit Guide (a complete overview of your pension benefit: https://www.mass.gov/orgs/massachusetts-state-retirement-board/events?_page=1
Additionally, the SMART Plan’s Winter Street location at the Massachusetts State Retirement Board will be closed to visitors. SMART Plan advisors are still available to assist you at any time. Please click on this link to find the Advisor for your location: https://docs.empower-retirement.com/EE/Massachusetts/DOCS/Territory-Map.pdf
Please be on the alert for fraud
Be aware of questionable emails related to your retirement benefits. Scammers capitalize on “hot news topics,” such as COVID-19, to trick you into clicking on their websites and emails.
- Always first check the sender’s email address to look for grammatical errors or questionable spellings;
- Emails from the State Retirement Board will ALWAYS come from staff that end with @tre.state.ma.us;
- The MSRB will NEVER ask you for personal information via email or ask you to send such information via email. Please don’t ever email your full social security number.