- Division of Fisheries and Wildlife
Media Contact for Spring trout stocking
Media Contact, MassWildlife
MassWildlife will stock nearly 500,000 brook, brown, rainbow, and tiger trout across Massachusetts this year. Visit mass.gov/trout to get daily stocking updates and find a fishing spot near you. Stocking in southeastern waters will begin in early March with other regions of the state following soon after as weather conditions allow. MassWildlife raises these trout that are both fun to catch and delicious to eat at its five hatcheries in Sandwich, Palmer, Belchertown, Sunderland, and Montague.
"Anglers can look forward to another blockbuster trout fishing season. Thanks to our dedicated staff, the quality and size of the fish we are stocking this spring is exceptional," said Dr. Caleb Slater, MassWildlife's Chief of Hatcheries. "MassWildlife stocks these trout in more than 220 cities and towns across the Commonwealth, which helps make great fishing opportunities more accessible to anyone who enjoys the outdoors."
2022 spring trout stocking stats:
- Most of the trout will be over 12 inches
- More than 160,000 rainbow trout will be over 14 inches
- More than 50,000 brook trout will be over 12 inches, including 550 18”+ retired brood fish
- More than 52,000 brown trout will be over 12 inches, including nearly 1,000 18”+ retired brood fish
- More than 3,000 tiger trout will be over 14 inches