The Agricultural Energy Grant Program (ENER) is a competitive grant program that funds agricultural energy projects in an effort to improve energy efficiency and the adoption of alternative energy by Massachusetts farms. The goal of the program is that farms can become more sustainable and the Commonwealth can maximize the environmental and economic benefits from these technologies.
Applicant must be an agricultural operation as defined by M.G.L. c. 128, Section1A that is principally and substantially engaged in the business of production agriculture or farming for commercial purposes and:
- To be eligible for participation in the Program, an Applicant must own, or be a Co-Responder with the owner of the agricultural operation, who has a legal interest in the land whether by deed or written agreement and approval to implement the project on the property, which must be in active agricultural use and managed as a commercial enterprise by the Responder for at least the three (3) previous years. This three (3) year management requirement may be waived if the operator has substantial direct management experience in farming;
- Are legally recognized entities within the Commonwealth and have the ability to enter a legally binding agreement with the Commonwealth;
- Awards are limited to one per agricultural operation using a unique tax identification number per round of funding;
- Priority will be given to applicants who are established in commercial agriculture and whose primary source of income is derived from the agricultural operation and that do not anticipate any change of ownership in the next five years;
- Have demonstrated the capacity to implement and administer projects and programs as defined in the responsive proposals to this RFR; and
- Additionally, eligible farm stands shall comply with M.G.L. c. 40A, Setion. 3 and demonstrate that the purpose of the farm stand shall be to sell agricultural products, a majority of which are produced by the applicant’s agricultural operation.
How to Apply
Please refer to the Climate Smart Agriculture Program if interested in applying to this Program.