An official website of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
This page, Attorney Name Change, is offered by

Attorney Name Change

An attorney may change his or her name by submitting an Affidavit of Name Change with supporting documentation.

An attorney who wishes to change his or her name must submit an Affidavit of Name Change with supporting documentation. The affidavit must be completed, signed, and mailed to the below address with related documentation. Within days of filing the completed materials, this office will change your name and forward that to the Board of Bar Overseers.

Documents (i.e. marriage certificate, divorce decree) supporting your name change must be attached to the name change affidavit. The affidavit must be an original; however, the attached documents may be photocopies.

The original name, as it appears on record with the Supreme Judicial Court and the Board of Bar Overseers, will change to the name stated on the completed affidavit. The affidavit and related documents will be filed with the attorney's records. 

Please mail the Affidavit of Name Change and supporting documentation to:

Maura S. Doyle, Clerk
Supreme Judicial Court for The County of Suffolk
John Adams Courthouse, 1st Floor
One Pemberton Square, Suite 1300
Boston, MA 02108-1707
Phone: 617-557-1050