The Bulletproof Vest Program (BVP) provides reimbursement to eligible police departments that have already applied and have been approved for reimbursement from the federal government under the Bureau of Justice Assistance’s Patrick Leahy Federal Bulletproof Vest Partnership Grant Act of 1998. As funding is limited, reimbursement is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
The purpose of the State BVP is to provide reimbursement for:
- The replacement of any bulletproof vest which was purchased on or after July 1, 2000 and is older than 5 years from the date of such purchase.
- The purchase of a bulletproof vest for an individual who had not been issued a bulletproof vest previously by such purchasing law enforcement jurisdiction.
- Officer(s) receiving vest must be full-time or part-time, sworn personnel of state or local police departments. Certain personnel of other agencies within the Executive Office of Public Safety and Security, as determined by the Secretary of Public Safety and Security, may be eligible. Officers must have graduated from a recognized Police or Reserve Intermittent Academy.
- Vests purchased must be Threat Levels I and above.
- Vests purchased must be certified by the National Institute of Justice (NIJ) and on the latest NIJ standards list of American-made vests.
- Vests must be purchased in accordance with the provisions of Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 30B and the applicant agency’s policies and procedures regarding procurement purchases.
- Vests acquired through this program are the property of the police department.
- The Patrick Leahy Federal Bulletproof Partnership Program must first provide up to 50% reimbursement toward vests purchased.
- As funding is limited, reimbursement under the State BVP is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Pre-Requirements for Reimbursement
As a condition of receipt of a reimbursement under this program, the recipient shall have made application for reimbursement to any federal grant program established by the U.S. Department of Justice to assist in the purchase of bulletproof vests; provided further, that any such costs that are not reimbursed through the receipt of funds from any such federal grant program shall be awarded to an eligible recipient; provided further, that as a condition for reimbursement, the model type of any such bulletproof vest purchased shall meet the National Institute of Justice requirements for bullet-resistant body armor in effect at the time of the purchase; provided further, that all applicants for grants under this item shall submit any documentation required by the secretary as a condition of reimbursement.
Applying for BVP Reimbursement
Local police departments and other eligible law enforcement agencies must first apply for reimbursement through the Patrick Leahy Federal Bulletproof Vest Partnership Program. Each state reimbursement request will require proof of the federal approval or proof of payment of the federal reimbursement.
Please be advised, the current Commonwealth of Massachusetts Standard Contract form for the BVP expired on February 28, 2022. Please follow the steps below to determine if you need to submit a new contract with your reimbursement request.
PART A: Submit Contract
Step #1-Check your invoice date
If the bulletproof vest invoice is dated prior to March 1, 2022, you must have either a 2017-2022 contract on file with the Office of Grants and Research or submit a 2017-2022 contract package prior to your reimbursement request.
If the bulletproof vest invoice is dated March 1, 2022 or later, you must have either a 2022-2027 contract on file with the Office of Grants and Research or submit a new 2022-2027 contract package prior to your reimbursement request.
Step #2- Check Contract on File
If your Police Department has the contracts corresponding to your invoice on file, then you will not need to resubmit contracts.
- Click here to view Departments that currently have a 2017-2022 contract on file.
- Click here to view Departments that currently have a 2022-2027 contract on file. (Coming Soon)
Step #3 –Submit Contract by email (ONLY if there is no contract on file)
Please print, sign, scan and email all contract documents with a subject line of:
“Name of Police Department 2017-2022 Bulletproof Vest Contract Documents” or “Name of Police Department 2022-2027 Bulletproof Vest Contract Documents” to: OGR.BPVRR@mass.gov
Each contract package includes:
- Commonwealth 5-Year Standard Contract - signed by the Chief of Police or Senior Municipal Official, as indicated on the Contractor Authorized Signatory Listing Form. Electronic signature is allowable on this fillable PDF form as long as the signature is visible, includes the signatory’s name and title, and is accompanied by a signature date. Hard copy form may also be hand-signed, scanned and uploaded.
- Contractor Authorized Signatory Listing – please make sure that the individual signing the Standard Contract is listed on this form. Any additional authorized signatories must be listed in the table/box of this form. This form must be signed by the Mayor, Town Administrator/Manager or Police Chief of the municipality applying. Electronic signature is allowable on this fillable PDF form as long as the signature is visible, includes the signatory’s name and title, and is accompanied by a signature date. Hard copy form may be hand-signed, scanned and uploaded
- Subgrant Conditions/Scope of Work-this form is to certify that the municipality understands and agrees to comply with all rules associated with this reimbursement opportunity. This form must be initialed by the Chief of Police or Senior Municipal Official, as indicated on the Contractor Authorized Signatory Listing Form.
PART B: Submit Reimbursement Request
Step #1 Prepare and Save Required Documents for upload
The following 3 documents must be uploaded to complete the online BVP Reimbursement Request Form:
- Scanned/PDF copies of invoices/purchase receipts for all vests for which the applicant is seeking reimbursement.
- BVP Police Officer Certification Form
- Proof of federal reimbursement. Either of these 2 documents are acceptable:
- A PDF copy/screenshot from the Federal BVP website that shows “Approved by BVP” regarding the request for reimbursement and including the amount or proof of payment. Please note that the preliminary screen print that merely acknowledges receipt for the request for reimbursement is insufficient. BVP Sample of DOJ Approved Status
- A PDF copy/screenshot of bank statement or other bank document reflecting a deposit from the DOJ to the city's or town's bank account in the amount of the reimbursement and a reference to “BVP” is a suitable substitute. BVP Sample of DOJ Bank Deposit
Step #2 - Complete online BVP Reimbursement Form
All requests must be submitted through the Online BVP Reimbursement Request Form. Please do NOT email reimbursement requests; only contract documents are to be emailed.
Please be aware of the following when submitting the funding request:
- The above three documents must be completed and ready to upload within the BVP Reimbursement Form to complete the submission process.
- For planning purposes, the BVP Reimbursement Form requests the officer names, date of birth, number of vests, date of purchase and amount requested for reimbursement for each officer and vest.
- Once the BVP Reimbursement Form is started, all questions must be answered and all documents uploaded to successfully submit an application. Please be aware, progress will not be saved if the applicant leaves the page and the form was not completed.
- Once the BVP Reimbursement Form is submitted, the applicant will receive a confirmation email including the full application and all responses. Please check your Junk email box if a confirmation is not received in your Inbox. The confirmation email documents the submission and should be retained for the applicant’s records.
- Please be advised that typed text of a name not generated by a digital tool such as Adobe Sign or DocuSign, even in computer-generated cursive script, or an electronic symbol, are not acceptable forms of electronic signature.
BVP Reimbursement Form Due Date: Ongoing, until funds are depleted.
Grant contact information: Please email OGR.BPVRR@mass.gov with any questions.
Additional Resources for
To Track Payments
You may obtain information about past or scheduled payments from the Commonwealth on VendorWeb. In order to login to VendorWeb, you will need you 12-character Vendor Code and the last four digits of your Tax Identification Number. Both items should be available from your city or town accounting/finance departments.