What is DSME/T?
Diabetes Self-Management Education and Training (DSME/T) is a program for people with diabetes to gain the knowledge and skills to make behavior changes and better control their diabetes and related conditions.
This evidence-based practice accounts for the needs, goals and life experiences of the participant.
What to expect from DSME/T?
- DSME/T workshops meet 2½ hours once a week for six weeks, and are usually held in community settings such as churches, community centers, libraries and hospitals.
- People with type 2 diabetes attend the workshop in groups of 12-16. Workshops are facilitated by two trained leaders, one or both of whom are peer leaders with diabetes themselves.
- The cost of the program varies. Most health insurance plans cover DSME/T. Call your health plan to see if yours does.
What will I learn from DSME/T?
- Techniques to deal with the symptoms of diabetes
- Recommendations for physical activity
- Healthy eating guidance
- Appropriate use of medication
- How to work with your doctor to manage your diabetes