offered by
related to

Impaired driving

Here you'll be able to learn more about the dangers of driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs.

Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over

EOPSS launches its biannual "Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over" (DSOGPO) enforcement and educational campaign on December 13, 2018. Funding is being provided to the State Police and 139 local police departments to conduct zero-tolerance, high visibility impaired driving enforcement patrols at high incident locations throughout Massachusetts. Complementing these efforts will be Drug Recognition Experts (DREs), officers trained in Advanced Roadside Impaired Driving Enforcement (ARIDE), and sobriety checkpoints featuring Breath Alcohol Testing (BAT) Mobiles.

The campaign also serves to educate the public that alcohol and marijuana are impairments and that drivers should find safe alternatives to driving drunk, high, or stoned. EOPSS, in partnership with Lyft, the MBTA, and the taxi industry, produced the following PSA to encourage drivers using marijuana or alcohol to plan ahead for a sober ride. 

Additional Resources for

Ignition interlock devices

In October 2005, the Commonwealth passed legislation known as "Melanie's Law" increasing the penalties for operating a motor vehicle under the influence (OUI) of alcohol or controlled substances. "Melanie's Law" requires that an Ignition Interlock Device (IID) shall be installed and used by drivers with 2 or more OUIs for alcohol or controlled substances. The IID must remain installed for at least two years after reinstatement of full operating privileges and can only be removed if the driver has successfully completed all requirements of the IID program as well as not have any lockouts or program violations during the six months prior to the request to remove the IID. 

Additional Resources for