The John Adams Courthouse is available for use to public agencies as well as educational, civic and other private non-profit entities, for events that have as their primary purpose enhancement of the legal profession, or education about or improvement of the law, legal system, or the administration of justice. Events held in the John Adams Courthouse must be educational or civic in purpose and not a personal, political, commercial or fundraising event.
To request use of conference locations in the John Adams Courthouse:
To request use of the Supreme Judicial Court's Second Floor Conference Suite, the Great Hall, or the Holmes Courtroom (see room descriptions), please complete the Reservation Request Form linked at the bottom of this page and email it to Blanca Tosado at Blanca.Tosado@jud.state.ma.us or send it by fax to 617-557-1052. All requests are subject to approval and must meet the building use requirements described above.
If you would like to check availability of conference locations or have questions, please contact Blanca Tosado at Blanca.Tosado@jud.state.ma.us
Accessibility information for the courthouse is available on the John Adams Courthouse page.
For information scheduling a tour of the John Adams Courthouse, please view the Visit the John Adams Courthouse page.
Supreme Judicial Court Conferences Spaces
Second Floor Conference Suite (Room 2-100)
- A limited number of stacking chairs, 18" x 60" folding tables, 30" x 43" pedestal tables are available
- Equiped with large conference table (48" x 107")
- Access to catering "kitchen"
- A/V equipment available (projector, VCR/DVD player with monitor, lectern with sound system)
Capacity (1628 square feet or approx. 44' x 37')*:
- 125 lecture style comfortably (maximum 150)
- 65-70 class-room style
- 200-250 stand-up reception
Holmes Courtroom (Courtroom 2)
- Usage available for educational programming including mock trials and moot court programs
Great Hall (First Floor)
- Generally only available if the event cannot be held in the Conference Suite due to capacity limits
- Limited to events taking place after court hours
- A limited number of stacking chairs and 1.5' x 5' folding tables can be made available
- Sound system with lectern is available
Capacity (1400 square feet or approx. 43' x 86')*:
- 325 lecture style
- 440 stand-up reception
*Generally, 6 square feet per person is needed for stand up or non-seating functions;12 square feet per person is required for a dinner w/ 60" round tables.
Note: Capacity is based on standards for occupant loads found in Architectural Graphic Standards, 10th edition, 2000, p.8. Variances depend on whether person is standing, seated in a chair or at a table and additional equipment and/or furniture also located in the space.