Mission: The Massachusetts State Rehabilitation, a partner of the Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission, provides a forum for consumer input resulting in recommendations and advice to the agency in the provision of high quality, value-based, vocational rehabilitation services that lead to meaningful, sustainable, and competitive employment for consumers.
About the SRC
Vision: Our Vision is to provide a dynamic pathway to economic self-sufficiency for all people with disabilities to break the historic bonds of poverty.
History of the Council
Massachusetts Governor, William F Weld, passed an executive order in April 1994 to create the MA State Rehabilitation Council. This executive order provided compliance with the Federal Rehabilitation Act, as Amended in 1992 by Public Law 102-569.
Executive Order No. 368 provided the Massachusetts State Rehabilitation Council with the following duties:
- Provide advice to the Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission on its performance and responsibilities of the federal law;
- Provide advice to the Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission on duties completed by state agencies that affect people with disabilities opportunities for work;
- Provide advice to the Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission when preparing grant applications;
- Partake in the review and analysis of consumer satisfaction of the vocational rehabilitation program;
- Prepare and submit an annual report on the status of the vocational rehabilitation program operated in Massachusetts. Report should be available to the public.
- Work with the following organizations to improve services for people with disabilities: Statewide Independent Living Council, advisory panel for created for individuals with disabilities educational act, the Massachusetts Developmental Disabilities Council, and the Massachusetts Mental Health Planning Council
- Provide advice to the Massachusetts Rehabilitation Council on creating relationships with the Statewide Independent Living Council and the independent living center within Massachusetts.
Membership to the Rehabilitation Council
The council is made up of twenty one (21) governor appointed members who serve as the voting members of the council. Every year, the voting members of the council, vote in ex-Officio members who are non-voting members of the council.
If you are interested in joining the council or receiving updates regarding meetings, complete the Membership Form. If you would like to be considered for a governor appointed member of the council, submit a resume with your membership form.
If you would like to attend a council meeting, contact MRC Consumer Involvement Program by email or phone (617-204-3665).
Questions or comments to be submitted to the Massachusetts State Rehabilitation Council
If you have questions or comments that you would like to submit to be reviewed at the next quarterly meeting, email or call (617-204-3665) the MRC Consumer Involvement Program.